Thursday, January 29, 2009

Bobby Darin

"I want to make it faster than anyone has ever made it before. I'd like to be a legend by the time I'm 25. "-Bobby Darin




"My goal is to be remembered as a human being and as a great performer."-Bobby Darin

I just ADORE Bobby Darin. He was a great artist. He wasn’t just a singer, actor, performer…he was an artist. He wrote almost all of his songs and was not afraid to take risks.

He was a man on a mission. At the age of eight he overheard the doctor tell his mom that he would not live past the age of sixteen! Needless to say he did live past sixteen, dying at the still extremely young age of thirty-seven (of heart failure). But, he sure did leave a lot behind.

Mr. Darin left behind millions of songs, classic films, record-making concerts and shows (Sammy Davis Jr. once said that Bobby was "the only person I never wanted to follow" after seeing Bobby perform in Las Vegas), and a legacy as a great human being and activist (he was a big supporter of the Civil Rights Movement and always insisted on have having black comedians open for him; also he could often be seen in the many marches, even in the early sixties when it was still a very unpopular thing to do).

There is just something about Bobby Darin. Watching him act or listening to him sing is amazing, but it is mesmerizing to watch him perform. I am obviously far to young to have ever seen Bobby perform live, but I have seen quite a few TV specials and he was truly AMAZING!

What I think is most amazing about him was his ability to do anything really well! He could act: he was Oscar-nominated in the drama "Captain Newman M.D."; but he could do comedy just as well, if not better ("Come September" anyone?). He could perform: he did sold-out shows in Vegas...people were lined up for blocks...just to get tickets; his TV specials were also hits and he had his own show on NBC, "The Bobby Darin Amusement Company". And he could sing: he could sing anything; pop, rock, swing, folk, country, classical, and everything in between!

On a side note, Bobby is actually on my list of people who would have won American Idol in their day. And believe me not all amazing singers would have. Maybe I will post that list some day... It is truly enlightening. ;-)

Anyways, I really just wanted to do something on Bobby because I am no longer doing a "favorite singers/bands" post...because I have discovered I have far too many! He is completely under-appreciated and under-loved today, so this was my tribute...to a great human being and performer...just like he wanted be.

"It isn't true that you live only once. You only die once. You live lots of times, if you know how. " -Bobby Darin






Being mobbed by some random, hysterical fan.


Do note the properly adoring looks on all in the audience.






With his adorable, look-a-like son, Dodd (with his wife Sandra Dee).



I am going to make an entirely separate post for photos of him and Sandra Dee. Because I have so many amazing ones.

For more info on the Magnificent Mr. Darin check out IMDb, Wikipedia, or his official website.

And if you would like to listen to some of his music, visit Last.fm


6 comments:

Graciebird said...

Well, I'm not a Bobby fan, but that is ultra super cool that he was a big supporter of Civil Rights. He must have been a beautiful man. I did hear his song from your profile; very nice, just lovely.

PS: He and Sandra made a very adorable couple.

Millie said...

Yes he was ultra super cool! SO amazing.

That's one of my favorite Bobby songs. Although, I love them all. That is technically supposed to be a very sad song, but Bobby had this ability to turn any song into a completely joyful tune (although he could also do sad. His rendition of Moon River is the most beautiful I have ever heard...besides Audrey's).

They are adorable!

BTW, did you know Bobby was a huge supporter and friend of Robert Kennedy? He was with him a lot throughout his presidential campaign. And even wrote "A Simple Song Of Freedom" for Bobby K. He was absolutely devastated after his assassination. And flew immediately to where it happened.

Thought you would like to know that. Considering how much you love RFK!

Graciebird said...

OMG Millie, you always manage to put a smile on my face. I vow to become a Bobby Darin fan and I will find that song as well.

RFK was just beautiful. He's my hero, but you already knew that.

Millie said...

Yeah, I have done my duty. ;-)

I thought you would like that!

Millie said...

Oh, BTW you can listen to a bunch of full tracks of his on Last.fm.

I recommend everyone of his songs, but some more than others. Also, try and listen to some of his live music. And if you really want to listen to more of his music, check out “The Legendary Bobby Darin” from your library. It’s excellent.

troy P. said...

Millie, I'm not sure if you're still around, but I wanted to drop in after finding this by accident, and say Bravo!

The world needs more Bobby Darin fans - more Bobby Darin fans like you! This was a wonderful piece, and I'm glad that you shared it. Thank you =)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin