Monday, January 19, 2009

Favorite Sunglasses Moments

Sometimes, I wish it was summertime, just so I could wear sunglasses. Right now where I live it is rain, rain, rain, rain (as it is most of the year).

I ADORE sunglasses, although, as I believe I have stated before I am SO mad that big ones are so popular. Because then when I wear Audreyesque shades I look like every other teenage girl trying to look cool. And I HATE that.

But, my love of them cannot be vanquished. I decided to put together a list of my favorite moments of sunglasses genius...Audrey appears several times...also, some other great moments. Most are from films (I will note which films too), but a couple are not.

These are my top 10 in order of favoritist (not a word I know...) lowest favorite to top favorite:

Honorable Mentions: To two very EVIL ladies...(In these movies):

Barbara Stanwyck in "Double Indemnity"


Gene Tierney in "Leave Her To Heaven"


10.
Audrey Hepburn in "Charade"



9.
Audrey Hepburn going to the movies with her son Sean, 1969.


8.
Carole Lombard...skeet-shooting...she is so stupendously amazingingly cool!


7.
Various Audrey shots from "Breakfast At Tiffany's"




6.
Audrey in "Charade" I have decided that these are different than the ones above, but who knows.


5.
Grace Kelly in "To Catch A Thief".




4.
Sandra Dee in "A Summer Place".


3.
Audrey Hepburn in "Two For The Road".




There is a VERY cool looking shot of Audrey, but I could only find it in a side-by side shot with Lindsay Lohan. I could not bring myself to post a pic of Lindsay on my blog (nothing against her, but she hardly can be considered a fashion icon to Audrey's caliber!). So clink on this link to take you to the pic...a very good one of Audrey!

2.
Doris Day on a random set...sorry, but I really don't have too much info about this pic, except that I ADORE it!

I LOVE the fact that she has lollipop in her mouth...it makes the picture that much more awe-inspiring.


AND THE WINNER IS.................................................................................







1.




Audrey Hepburn in "How To Steal A Million"!
I think what really clinched it for me was the hat. I know that is unfair to the other participants who had no such cool hat, but hey I COULDN'T help it! It was way TOO amazing!



Now, this is not at all a pair of sunglasses, but is this mask stunning or what?

Also, from "How To Steal A Million".

And, a few special mentions to some gentlemen that pulled off the look quite well:

James Dean.


Cary Grant in "North By Northwest".


Sorry, if some good one's got left off (this list is mainly comprised off pics I had saved in my computer). I am sure that I will probably have a "return of the sunglasses" some time soon, for all those I forgot.

15 comments:

Harlowcutie11 said...

You really are tooooooooooooo cool for me.

Millie said...

Nah!

You are way too cool for me.

And so is Sarah. Her blog is the actual reason I even started a blog of my own.

Sarah said...

*blush*
I love Two for the Road, btw ;)

Millie said...

Yeah, I just love the sunglasses from it...hehehe.

Laura said...

Love this post!!

Audrey had by far THE bestest sunglasses in the world!

Millie said...

Thanks, Laura!

I must agree about Audrey! Any pair of sunglasses she wore were AMAZING!

Genevieve said...

What a great post! I too love sunglasses, except for the fact that they don't like me : (

Anyways, I love the photos of Audrey. Nobody could wear sunglasses like she could!

Millie said...

Thank you!

Audrey is definitely the ruling monarch of sunglasses. There never nor ever will be someone quite like her...and not only for her sunglass-wearing ability. :-D

Millie said...

Oops, that was supposed to say, "There never WAS and never will be..."

Millie said...

Actually, that was supposed to say, "there never was nor ever will be..."

MissMatilda said...

One of my Fave pics of Carole :-)

Millie said...

Yeah. And the amazing thing is that it looks completely modern. Her hair, her sunglasses, and what little we can see of her outfit.

I think that is where a lot of the appeal of her lies. In the fact, that she could easily fit in (not only appearance-wise, but also mind-wise)to today's culture!

hana-bi. said...

Audrey looks great with sunglasses, but her eyes are so pretty, there's no reason for her to cover them up. ;) <3
And omg haha. Those pictures of Babs and Cary are hilarious. XD

Millie said...

Yes, Audrey had gorgeous eyes!

Yes, they are funny!

Java Bean Rush said...

That Doris Day one is from the set of Please Don't Eat the Daisies (1960). She is seen with actress Patsy Kelly who plays her maid.

Doris Day does not wear sunglasses in the movie; she's just taking a break during an outdoor shot.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin