Monday, June 22, 2009

Favorite Female Characters To Take Sweet Revenge...

Ahh, revenge! Such a lovely, satisfying emotion...well, at least in film. And, there's nothing I like better than watching a female character take her own sweet revenge on whatever it is that needs to be avenged! So here is my top ten list, starting with least satisfying revenge to the most satisfying revenge. ENJOY:

10)
Gidget (Sandra Dee) in Gidget

Okay, so technically not a huge REVENGE scene. And, it may only be "girl fake surfing against a screen". But, it is Gidget's revenge against those who told her she couldn't surf/she was just a little "girl midget". Moondoggie is going DOWN!

(Skip to about 4:50 to see the revenge.)



9)
Hildy Johnson (Rosalind Russell) in His Girl Friday

Actually this whole movie is like a revenge film! Every little witty insult they throw at each other is amazing. But, this early scene is one of my favorites...Hildy stands up to Walter...like no one has done before.




8)
Elizabeth Bennett (Greer Garson) in Pride & Prejudice

Like His Girl Friday, P&P is revenge throughout. And poor little Mr. Darcy is no match for Elizabeth (played by the super-amazing Greer). One of my favorite lines in the whole movie is when Lizzie gets back at Darcy by refusing his invitation to dance. (It's near the end of the clip.)




7)
Sabrina Fairchild (Audrey Hepburn) in Sabrina

This isn't revenge on Sabrina's part, necessarily. But, all those that ignored her and pushed her aside are certainly revenged by the fact that Sabrina's the most gorgeous/sophisticated lady around. This scene when she first comes home is the greatest.



6)
Tracy Lord (Grace Kelly) in High Society

Hahaha, Grace Kelly is so amazing. I tried to get the complete clip of her showing the reporters "exactly what she's like", but couldn't find it. Here's a partial part of it though. Hahahaha....love it!



5)
Lucy Warriner (Irene Dunne) in The Awful Truth

Lucy revenges her husband for revenging her because she was revenging him because he was revenging her....Lucy singing and dancing and drinking and generally making a nuisance of herself....heaven.




4)
Anne Smith (Carole Lombard) in Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Carole seeks revenge from David throughout the whole film. But, these are two of my favorite scenes.






3)
Jan Morrow (Doris Day) in Pillow Talk

SPOILER ALERT

A piece of advice: don't mess with an interior decorator and then ask her to decorate your apartment...it doesn't turn out pretty.




2)
Cathrine Sloper (Olivia De Havilland) in The Heiress

MAJOR, MAJOR, MAJOR SPOILER ALERT

One of the most satisfying endings to a film ever. My mom loves this movie but hates the ending (she wants Cathrine to find love). I say, that this ending rocks! The second best thing to finding love...finding revenge! Oh, I love the part where she is walking up the stairs SO much, that I always start laughing maniacally every time I see it!




1)
Paula Alquist (Ingrid Bergman) in Gaslight

CRAZY, MAJOR, DON'T PROCEED IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT SPOILER ALERT

My favorite revenge scene ever. Paula gets revenge AND love. How perfect! The whole thing with the knife is so gratifying!

(Watch the end of the first video and then continue on to the second video!)







Well, I hope you enjoyed my little list of lovely revenges...

Enjoy your day (and don't forget to avenge absolutely anything that needs to be avenged...;-D)!

7 comments:

Jacqueline T Lynch said...

Great scenes, and a terrific idea for a post.

Millie said...

Well, thank you Jacqueline!

Kate Gabrielle said...

My favorite is the one from The Awful Truth (maybe one of my favorite scenes ever!) -- I couldn't watch the Heiress one yet because I haven't seen the film (thanks for warning me about the spoiler!!) I'm sure when I watch it, and see whatever the revenge is, I'll think "that must be what Millie was talking about!" :)

Millie said...

Yes, it's the same with me. It's one of my favorite scenes ever period. "My dreams have gone with the wind..."

Oh, my! You simply have to see The Heiress! It's super-amazing!

Hahaha, how sweet! When you see the revenge scene you will think of me...;-D

Meredith said...

i love this!! and marsha hunts' attempt to *sparkle* never fails to make me laugh. <33 that movie (and greer as elizabeth. shut up haters who think she was too old).

Millie said...

Hahaha, that's one of the most memorable images from that movie. Her facial expression is CLASSIC!

Greer is definitely the best Elizabeth EVER! And, I thought that Keira Knightly and Jennifer Ehle were both excellent! But, none could compare to Greer.

TrippyTrellis said...

I find the ending of "The Heiress", my all time favorite movie, the most thrilling of all. What a shame that this perfect movie and this perfect ending could have been even better if they had kept one line from the play- when Aunt Penniman says "Poor Morris!" Catherine answers: "If you ever mention Morris name again it will be a sign to me that you want to leave Washington Square forever." And that's when Aunt Penniman asks, "How can you be so cruel?". Which makes a lot more sense.

But this is nit-picking. "The Heiress", as is, is my favorite film. By far.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin