Monday, June 1, 2009

Sarah and Harley are fantastic guest programmers!

So, on the TCM Message Boards (which is where I first met Sarah and Harley (a.k.a. Graciebird) there is an event that takes place every three months. It's called The TCM Programming Challenge. The challenge is to schedule a full week of TCM using the same rules the actual programmers have to follow (for example: start times, specific studios, premieres, etc.) One, must also program the regular features (Star of the Month, Silents Sundays, Imports, etc.)

This is not endorsed by TCM, but actual TCM programmers do look at the schedules posted and sometimes use the ideas.

I needed a hypothetical guest progammer (usually people pick celebrities). I decided to use Sarah of Cinema Splendor and Harley (a.k.a. Graciebird) of Dreaming in Black and White. I asked them both to choose two film and two back-up films and answer this question: Why did you choose this film?

I just wanted to post their choices and what they said, because they were so super-cool!

Harley's choices:

Guys and Dolls and Indiscreet .
Alternates that weren't used: Laura and Gentleman's Agreement.

Me: Why did you choose Guys and Dolls ?

Harley: No, I'm not a big fan of musicals. Quite frankly, I hate them. But when one musical happens to be from Old Hollywood and stars no less than the Frank Sinatra, you should know I'm going to make an exception in my no musicals ever policy. I know Marlon Brando got top billing in this film, but I was a little wary in seeing him singing. Stanley Kowalski singing? Uh, ok. Well, I gave it a shot and I fell in love with the movie and the lead stars. This film was so enjoyable to watch because of it's plot. I watched this film and fell in love with the character of Nathan Detroit, wanted very much to be his fiancee of fourteen years, Adelaide, and found the songs were all stuck in my head, and I can proudly say, they're stuck permanently. While watching Guys and Dolls, it struck me that it takes a real man to sing and dance while shooting dice, and their "proper" way of speaking really endeared itself to me. They were all so natural. From Sinatra's absolutely gorgeous renditions of the songs to the hilarious lines they used, it was the making of a brand new love affair, which had me singing: "Sue me, sue me..."

Me: Why did you choose Indiscreet ?

Harley: Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman. It doesn't matter what the genre, I will watch whatever these two appear in. And how fortunate was I to see them in this charming romantic comedy from 1958. Who ever heard of a movie about a man pretending to be married, all so he can have a secret affair with an actress? In France? I guess one reason why I love this film is because of the natural quality of both Cary and Ingrid. As you watch them, it's hard to tell if they really are acting. Everything about this film is sophisticated, and indiscreetly amusing as well. You can't help but fall in love with Cary and Ingrid, and with the movie as well.

Sarah's choices:


The Three Faces of Eve and Wait Until Dark.
Alternates that weren't used: Bye Bye Birdie and The Sterile Cuckoo

Me: Why did you choose The Three Faces of Eve ?

Sarah: I could pick it for the cinematography. I could pick it for the great performances of the supporting cast. But ultimately, I picked it for Joanne Woodward. She plays a Georgia housewife with multiple personality disorder, based on a true story. She portrays three different personalities; Eve White, a shy housewife, Eve Black, a saucy single woman, and Jane, a happy mother and wife. I’ve done some acting myself, so I cannot imagine playing 3 personalities in one show. Just for that, Joanne could possibly be a film goddess. In the end, it’s Jane who takes over Eve White’s life, and I was glad it was her. Jane loves Eve’s daughter, and marries a cutie after divorcing her skeevy, uncaring husband. Although, my favorite personality is probably Eve Black; whose isn’t? Eve Black is liberated, flirty and wears fancy cocktail dresses. She smokes, drinks, sings and dances, and loves to have a good time.

Me: Why did you pick Wait Until Dark ?

Sarah: Wait Until Dark is what I would call one of the greatest thrillers ever made. Alan Arkin’s performance as a gangbuster is easily Oscar worthy. He makes his character seem smooth and sophisticated, although he is carrying out a huge crime plot. Since all of Audrey Hepburn’s other films were comedies, romances or musicals, this movie completely sticks out in her career. She was nominated for an Oscar and totally deserved it. She plays a blind woman so convincingly, I wondered if they did something that wouldn’t make her see. All of her movements and glances were perfect and true to the character. Being in almost complete darkness, the last 10 or so minutes of the movie were so suspenseful and freaky.. I would recommend this movie to anyone with a love of thrillers.

If you would like to see more of my schedule just click on this link:
My Schedule
You'll have to scroll down to about the middle of the page, until you see "ILoveRayMilland's Schedule". Above that should be my notes on it.

And, BTW, if you happen to be a Message Boarder please feel free to vote for me! ;-D

Thanks again to Sarah and Harley!

8 comments:

Kate Gabrielle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate Gabrielle said...

Sorry for the deleted comment :)

I voted for you!

Millie said...

Thanks, Kate! You are too sweet.

I was wondering did you send it in a PM? Or post it directly to the boards?

Sarah said...

YAY :D

Kate Gabrielle said...

I sent it in a PM, is that okay?

Millie said...

Sarah, you're choices truly were amazing!

Kate: That's absolutely wunderbar! I just didn't know if you thought you had posted it to the boards, but it actually didn't got through. Just making sure I get that one vote ;-D (I too, usually don't get a lot of votes...)

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool vibe we have going here, keep it going =]

Anonymous said...

nice stuff here, very very nice

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin