Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Lesser Loved That I Love More: Rick Blaine vs. Victor Laszlo




It's practically no secret that I have this strange tendency to love and defend anything that is normally the lesser loved and under-defended.

It's partially because I like to be original and unique so I say, "Beatles...who needs the Beatles? I got The Monkees! (Who incidentally were NOT the "pre-fab four"...grrrr)". Some say, I'm being contrary...I simply state that I'm being original and unique...;-D

Another one I've mentioned before is the great Simon vs. Garfunkel debate! I instantly took Art's side (when I was about eight)! You can read my three reasons why Garfunkel is cooler than Simon here!

Anyways, I decided to translate this strange tendency into a blog series. Its title is: The Lesser Loved That I Love More (not the greatest grammar, but hey it gets the point across).

My first entry is Rick Blaine vs. Victor Laszlo.

And, if you for some reason live somewhere on the face of this planet (or any other planet) and have not heard one of both of those character names I will explain.

Rick Blaine (played by Humphrey Bogart) and Victor Laszlo (played by Paul Henreid) are the names of two characters in the film Casablanca.

Okay, moving on...

In the battle between Rick Blaine and Victor Laszlo...Victor comes out as the winner, but only slightly and for practically no apparent reason.

Because let's face it Rick's got:


The swagger...


The quick and quotable lines...


The brooding anti-hero spirit...


And the cool fedora...

On the contrary Victor has everything against him:



A boring and bland personality...


Boring and bland lines...


He's a boring and bland hero...


A boring and bland hat...


A strange, never-explained (must of been from the concentration camps) scar...


...and on top of all this he has the dislike of 99% of the people who have ever seen this movie in the last 70 years...poor guy.

BUT.........


Victor has one thing that Rick does not have.....

He has just possibly one of the coolest ever accents.

And for that sole reason Victor beats out Rick.

But, I still do adore Rick.


And in the end, whether you agree about Victor over Rick or if you think it should be Rick over Victor, one thing is certain! Captain Louis Renault beats both of them out as the coolest character in the Casablanca!



Favorite Casablanca quote:

20 comments:

Ginger Ingenue said...

Ha. Cute series. :)

But I HATE Victor Laszlo. You can have him. ;)

And I think Dooley Wilson may be the coolest guy in CASABLANCA...except for Rick, of course.

...

I have NO idea who 'Hannibal Heyes' and 'Kid Curry' are, so I'll be looking forward to that one! :)

DKoren said...

Yay for Captain Renault winning in the end! I love this series, cuz I'm also partial to "lesser" characters. Can't wait to see what other editions you post!

Oddly, coincidentally, I watched my first Alias Smith & Jones ep a couple weeks ago on Hulu (I was watching it for Peter Breck, who was guest starring), so I actually recognize those names now!

Maggie said...

I like Victor for one reason: Paul Henreid is so freakin hot!!!!!

Elizabeth said...

I'm a defender of the underdog too. Hence, my favorite singer is Cliff Edwards and I can recognize all of the Keystone Cops.

Hurrah for the forgotten!

By the way, Rick is MUCH more interesting. I would have picked him!

Kate Gabrielle said...

omg Millie I love this series!!! You are too funny (I love the hat thing)!!!

I agree, Victor's accent is stupendous. I love Paul Henried in Now, Voyager!!

Like Ginger, I have no clue who Hannibal & Kid are, so I'm looking forward to your post :)

Millie said...

Ginger: Thanks!

Well, I think that Rick would be a much better fit for you than Victor!

Oh, I forgot about him. He's another one of my favorites! But, Louis has always been my favorite, since the first time I saw it! I love it when Dooley sings "Knock on Wood"...it's one of my more favorite parts of the movie.

Oh, good, then I'll get to introduce them to you!

DKoren: So am I. That's why character actors are so amazinly important to me!

I knew it! I said to myself that if anyone knew who Heyes and the Kid were it would be DKoren! Peter Breck? Was that "Fistful Of Diamonds"? The weird flashback and forward episode...

Maggie: Hahaha! BTW, I just checked out your blog! It's super-amazing!

Elizabeth: You are so right! Three cheers for the forgotten...;-D Actually, I agree with you. Rick is way more interesting than Victor...but he doesn't have that voice...

Kate-Gabrielle: Thank you! Well, the hat thing was important for me to point out. Because Rick has THE coolest hat ever! And, Victor has THE most boring hat ever.

Yes, Paul's voice is even more amazing in Now, Voyager! I always just love it when he calls Bette "Camille".....

Yippee, I can't wait to inform all of you! I may just have to do that post tonight!

DKoren said...

It was "The Great Shell Game," and alas, Peter Breck didn't have all that much to do in it, but he still looked good in his snazzy suit. LOL! But the ep did have a weird flashback/flash forward thing going on, yes.

Millie said...

Sorry, "TGSG" is the one I was talking about. I don't know why I thought it was "Fistful of Diamonds"...

Ya, that episode was mighty strange! If you haven't seen any others than you probably aren't liking the show so well.

I would recommend the pilot, "The McCreedy Bust", and "Never Trust An Honest Man" (the last being my personal favorite!)

Maggie said...

Thanks for the compliment! Hopefully I will get over my recent bout of procrastination and write more :)

Ruby said...

I loved your post. I love Rick.

hana-bi. said...

Victor is part of the resistance and that makes him a WINRAR. Plus Paul Henreid is cute. As you know. :D

Although Rick is interesting and cool and a BAMF and Bogie basically wins at life.

I usually go with the underdog as well, but is it okay for me to like them both? :3

Loved the post. You're amazing, Millie!

Millie said...

Maggie: Totally! And, I can't wait to read more!

Ruby: Thanks. Rick is pretty cool.

Hana-bi: Victor is totally amazing. Hahaha, I have a feeling that conversation came up some time during our private messages at Miss Vintage.

Yes, I know B&B are very near and dear to your heart.... ;-D

Yes, absolutely, you can like them both. I love both of the characters myself!

Thanks, Hana-bi, but you are way more amazing!

DKoren said...

I enjoyed the ep, but neither lead actor captivated me enough to immediately want to watch more (though I loved Ben Murphy when he was on the brief-lived Dirty Dozen series). The show did go on the "catch more of this when you can" list. :-D There are very few Westerns I don't want to watch! But with limited daily viewing time, I tend to follow trends, like right now it's all things Gilbert Roland. Something (or one) has to have stronger appeal to break the trend.

Millie said...

I see. That's what was wrong about the episode. They were apart in it. Together they are a hilarious duo...and really fun to watch. Apart they don't do nearly as well.

Hahaha, I'm the same. I just adore westerns. It comes from being stuck in the middle of four brothers (my two sisters are ten and thirteen years older). But, I love westerns even more then my brothers ever did. Western TV especially!

DKoren said...

Ahhhhhhh, yes! I understand shows that need both leads together to really click and work (Starsky & Hutch is this way. They're okay separate, but put them together and the chemistry is just magic). I'll check out the two eps you recommended earlier as soon as I get a chance.

Millie said...

Oh, really do! They are so great together! And, if you have a chance the pilot (which is only 30min longer than the normal episodes) really sets up the show and what is to come.

I also love a second season episode titled "Dreadful, Sorry Clementine" that boasts a supporting cast of Rudy Valle, Don Ameche, Keenan Wynn, and Sally Field...pretty impressive!

Juliette. said...

That's probably why Ingrid went with Paul too-- the accent. ;)

I adore Paul Henreid in The Scar, so this is fine by me. Though pesonally I'd have gone with Bogie.

Hey! They're from Alias Smith and Jones! Haha, the only reason I started watching that is because Pete Duel from Gidget was in it. Turned out to be pretty good. Cool-- I look forward to hearing about it.

Millie said...

Probably! Of course Ingrid had more than enough of a cool accent, so that she could have gone with Rick. That sentence I just wrote made no sense whatsoever. Oh, well.

Haha, I thought you wrote "I adore Paul Henried and the scar" (As in t the scar he has in Casablanca). I've never seen that. I will have to try and get a hold of it sometime.

YAY! YAY! Someone else who knows of ASandJ! It is a pretty cool show. The first and second season are on Hulu.

Elisabeth said...

I know what you mean about liking characters of lesser importance better than the 'hero of the piece.' It seems like some people really never get their due.

As to Casablanca...well, Victor Laszlo may be a slightly bland character, but the thing that always makes me feel for him is that he sincerely, honestly loved Ilsa, and it was sad that she didn't return his affection in the same way.

Juanita's Journal said...

I like Victor for one strong reason only - unlike other straight arrows, he isn't narrow-minded and judgmental toward guys like Rick. And he really did love Ilsa.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin