Thursday, August 13, 2009

Happy 110th Birthday to Mr. Hitchcock!

Happy Birthday to Sir Alfred Joseph Hitchcock (August 13th, 1899 - April 29th, 1980)...the coolest and most genius person to ever be born on a Friday the 13th!


^Mr. Hitchcock enjoying a birthday martini!

Words cannot describe how amazing I think he is. He made movies that are entertaining, but also by watching and liking them, a person is considered intelligent and cultured...that's pure genius!

I know there will probably be a lot of other interesting (and better written...;-D) posts about him today, so I am just gonna share why I like him (this means sit down...'cause it gonna be a looooong read) and a few Hitchcock related thoughts.

Today (being a delightfully rainy and gray day...perfect for movie watching) I had the privilege of introducing my youngest brother (who just turned ten last week) to the films of Alfred Hitchcock. In my family (a place where Hitchcock is revered above all others), the first Hitchcock a kid sees is The Lady Vanishes. The reason is because somewhere, way back down the line of seven children, my mom got the idea that this is the least traumatizing of all Hitchcock's. I have no idea where this thought originated (perhaps it's because Dame May Whitty is smiling throughout the whole movie except of course when she is SPOILER ALERT..........completely wrapped up like a mummy and half suffocating. Hehe, Dame May is bound to look like some kid's Grandma. Now, that's not tramautizing at all! Just old Granny almost getting gunned down by the mean bad guys...) END SPOILER

Anyways, I got to introduce this film to my youngest brother, and I'm happy to say he thoroughly enjoyed it. Later, during dinner (because this is Hitchcock week...and I was babysitting) I showed him The 39 Steps. He liked that one even more, but just barely he told me. In fact, he was quite conflicted on the matter. He liked Michael Redgrave just a bit more than Robert Donat, but he informed me that The 39 Steps was a little easier to understand, so it won out.

Some of you may know, that last year I actually hosted a birthday party for Mr. Hitchcock and invited people over to view one of his films and eat chocolate chip cookies in the shape of his profile. The viewing if his film worked out and we watched Notorious, the cookies however, failed. They turned out looking like big blobs of nothingness...sad! I am hosting a second annual Birthday Party, but not until next week. One of my friends (the most vital and necessary for anything to do with AH) is out of state until then. However, I have been enjoying Hitchcock with my little brother (and by myself) all day and will continue to tomorrow. I also made a second attempt at the cookies (mere minutes ago)...but it was also unsuccessful. I'm such a failure...*tears run down my cheeks*... Well, hopefully I do better next year!


^Hitchcock finds my failure most amusing...

Last month or so, Kate (or maybe Elizabeth...or just possibly someone else) suggested that I host a blogging birthday party for Mr. Hitchcock. Maybe make it the whole month of August or something. Well, of course, whoever it was (very stupidly) left me in charge. Of course, I thought about it, got all excited, got some great ideas, and promptly unremembered it a few days later. And, didn't reremember it 'till today. Well, I would still love to host a online party for Sir Alfred! Maybe make it last until the end of the month. If you would like to join the party just visit this blog 'cause it's gonna be partying all day tomorrow (hopefully)!

Also, to make the joy last all through this month, I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to have some guest blogging on Alfred Hitchcock, or maybe your favorite Hitchcock film, or just anything remotely pertaining to Hitchcock. The reason I have never had any guest bloggers before, is because I've always been worried that no one would ever want to write guest post for a lowly blog like my own, but I've figured out a way to take care of that! I just write a really sad, depressing sentence proclaiming my low blog-esteem and then everyone (feeling extremely sorry for me) flocks to my blog with amazing guest posts! So how about it? Pleeeease? If no one offers to guest blog for me, then I'm afraid I will have to make up a bunch of fake Blogger accounts and make fake blogs for them and then write them all fake guest blogger posts and then post them to my blog. Now, you really don't want to see a depressing sight like that, do you?

Anyways, if you want to be stupendous and write me a post about anything: short or long, funny or serious, cool or super-cool; just send them to classicforeverblogger@yahoo.com.


^Hitchcock before his diet.


^Hitchcock after his diet.

Now, I want to share one of my favorite Hitchcock stories. It really illuminates just how brilliant he was.

This was taken from the book, Who The Devil Made It? by Peter Bogdanovich. It is an incident that Peter remembers vividly:

"Well, it was a quite shocking, I must say -- there was blood everywhere!" Alfred Hitchcock began suddenly from the rear of the elevator. We were in the New York St. Regis Hotel, heading down to the lobby. There was as light flush to his cheeks from the several frozen dauquiris he had just drunk in his suite. The elevator had just stopped and 3 people dressed for the evening had joined us, and immediately Mr.Hitchcock had started to speak, sounding as though he were in mid-sentence and projecting in that careful and familiar TV tone of his.

He went on, "There was as stream of blood coming from his ear and another from his mouth. The people had recognized him immediately, but now they seemed purposely to avoid looking at him. He went right on, gazing beatifically ahead of him as the elevator stopped again and another well-dressed couple came aboard: "Of course, there was a huge pool of blood on the floor and his clothes were spattered with it -- Oh, it was a horrible mess."

No one on the elevator, it seemed, was breathing. "Blood all around! Well, I looked at the poor man and and I said, 'Good God, What happened to you?'" At that point the elevator doors opened onto the lobby, and Hitchcock said, "Do you know what he told me?" and then paused. After a moment, and quite reluctantly, the other passengers moved out of the elevator and then looked back at the director as we walked away.

After several foggy moments, I asked, "Well, what DID he say?"and Hitchcock smiled benevolently, taking my arm, and said, "Oh, nothing -- that's just my elevator story."

Hahaha, how can anyone not love Hitchcock after hearing that story?


^Hitchcock, with wife Alma, and daughter Pat in 1939. (I actually got a letter from Pat last year it is SO cool!)

Today I started with Mr. Hitchcock's British films. I watched Jamaica Inn (I'm one of the three people who actually like and enjoy this movie) along with the other two mentioned, and I'm gonna watch Young and Innocent (I just love this movie) before I finally go to bed. I wish I could squeeze in a viewing of Secret Agent (another absolute favorite of the British period), but I'm afraid there's no time (it's already one in the morning). Tomorrow morning and afternoon (I'm babysitting again for the first half of the day) I'm gonna continue on with his early American period...haven't decided just what to watch yet...


^Hitchcock apparently trying to decide which bird is more scary. If the choice were ever put towards me, my vote goes to the seagull (and I always thought they were such happy, friendly creatures...before I watched The Birds).

Wow, really this post is getting WAY to long!!! And, I really haven't said anything about Hitchcock. Or mentioned that he's my most favorite director ever. Or analyzed any of his films. Or made a list of my favorites (impossible...I love them all). Or even mentioned my favorite: Shadow Of A Doubt. I really am a bad Birthday blogger. Well, tomorrow, I'll be doing a bit more reviewing, so you can start looking forward to that...;-D!


Ahhh, I got to get to bed and watch Y&I! I'm starting to sound even more crazed and deranged than usual!

I will end with some cool Hitchcock photos:


^He is the only one who could make this picture look so awesomely cool!


^Young Hitchcock. Only 27 years old (that makes it 1926). That's Alma right behind him.


^Hitchcock eating lamb chops.


^Hitchcock looking very bored by my very boring post!


^I've always loved this painting!



^Being Hitchcock!


And there you have it! Be sure and tune in tomorrow (well, I guess later today) for more Hitchcock! And please be a guest blogger! It's all I want for Christmas!

Thanks for reading! -Millie!

P.S. I am very tired and am not in any way responsible for what is written above!

19 comments:

Kate Gabrielle said...

Silly Millie! That wasn't a boring post :) It's probably my favorite ode to Hitchcock ever :)

In fact, I was considering doing my own post today but I may just jot down a few sentences and then link back to you!

btw I'll be sending you an email in a second!

Robby Cress said...

Happy birthday to one of my favorite directors! By the way, I would certainly like to hear more about the letter from Pat :0

Lolita said...

Wow, many great pictures of Hitchcock! A lot of them where he looks happy!

By the way, I love your first comment on why you like Hitchcock, ha ha! "Want an easy, quick way to become an intellectual? Start by liking Hitchcock!"

Millie said...

Kate: Thank you SO much! You are so sweet!

YAY! I saw the e-mail. I'm super-excited!

Robby: Well, I discovered Pat's address from an old movie site (Reel Classics...the link is on the sidebar). And, I sent her a simple letter proclaiming how much I enjoy her and all her performances on film and TV! Well, a couple months later I got a letter back. (I don't know how, my address was even written wrong on the envelope.) Written on the back of my letter was a handwritten note that was personalized and said thanks...it was also signed! It's one of my favorite old movie things ever now!

Lolita: I know! I took special care to use some happy Hitchcock's!

Thanks...but it's so true! Watch a Hitchcock and you are thoroughly entertained...and then it also turns out that you're now smarter!

hana-bi. said...

When I saw the first two pictures plus the one of him eating lamb chops, I lol'd so hard. He looks like such a baby face. XD

Did your friends like Notorious at the party last year?

They should make Hitchcock-profile cookie cutters. XD

I wish I could have stayed home yesterday to have a Hitch marathon also. Darn school! ;_;

Millie said...

Hahaha, I just had to include the lambchops one, because it's so fascinating (only Hitchcock could make that fascinating).

They did like it (despite the fact that,as always, I got very angry at Dev...I love Ingrid too much..;-D)!

They totally should! I would buy one!

:-( You're at school already?

Austin said...

Great Hitch tribute! Not boring at all.
And I agree about Jamaica Inn! I thought I was the only one who found it enjoyable. haha.

Millie said...

Austin: Thanks! :-DDDD!

YAY! Another Jamaica Inn lover!!! I have actually never found another person who liked this movie (I thought I was exaggerating about there being three people did like it)!

Meredith said...

<33 hitch, and i want to be a guest blogger!! i'm quite busy at the moment but i'd love to write something.

Millie said...

Yay, thanks, I'm so excited!

Juliette. said...

Hahaha, hey! I was born on a Friday the 13th as well. Though I'll gladly concede the cool point to Hitch. What a marvelous man.

Neat idea for cookies! Sorry they didn't turn out, but am sure they were delicious!

Loved your post-- made for a great (and amusing!) read. Watched Shadow of a Doubt last week and bumped it up to the number two spot of my favorites (after The Lady Vanishes and before Dial M for Murder).

You've put me in the mood for his British period now, and think I shall go watch Blackmail.

If you still need guest bloggers, I'd be more than willing, though can't promise it'd be good. :)

Millie said...

Well, you are a very close second on the Friday the 13th thing...;-D

Thanks, hehe, one of brothers is so mean. He said that the miserable looking blobs of cookies actually DID look like Hitchcock...;-D

Oh, thank you! Shadow Of A Doubt is amazing. My absolute favorite Hitchcock EVER!

Oh, I'm glad. His British period really is amazing. So much genius in it. And also, his British films were more apt to include a lot of humor!

YES!!! I still can use some guest bloggers! My first guest blogger post I'm publishing later today, and I still need as many as I can get!!!

I'm sure it will be good (did you ever see the horrible guest blogging post I did for Kate? Hehe, anything is better than that!!!!).

Thanks for the comment!

Juliette. said...

Haha, yay! I didn't even know about his Friday the 13th birth-- fitting for him, isn't it?

Oh no! Hitch during his tubby period, I suppose. Well, tubbier. He was always adorable though...or, I think so. :)

Mm-hm! I can see why it was his favorite as well.

Yes, definitely. I think the humor is what makes me like that time more than any of his other periods...murder and comedy make such a nice mix.

Cool-- sounds like fun. I look forward to reading all the guest posts...should be interesting.

I think I did read it. Ingrid, yeah? It was maaahvelous, as I recall. :)

Millie said...

Totally!

Haha, well, tubby or not, it was impossible to not love Hitchcock!

Yes, it is pretty amazing!

They definitely do (just look at The Thin Man series!)

DKoren's post is pretty interesting!

You obviously are not recalling things so well. It was NOT maaahvelous! ;-D

Juliette. said...

Definitely. Thin Man, Ex-Mrs. Bradfor, Star of Midnight...it's a genre I'm constantly seeking out.

'Twas. ;)

Millie said...

And, not to mention the murderous aunts of Arsenic and Old Lace....

WASN'T! Believe me, I should know, I wrote the darn thing...

Juliette. said...

Haha yes, that's true, but I READ it. :)

Millie said...

Well, then, thank you! (But, it was still subpar)!

Juliette. said...

Nope, nope, nope. ;)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin