Saturday, October 10, 2009

Classic Cinema Survey: Millie-style!

Amanda over at A Noodle In A Haystack has created a really cool survey about classic movies!

Not wanting to be left behind, I of course jumped on the bandwagon (gosh, I really do love saying that...no idea why of course! It's kinda like my fascination with "had a dilly of a time").

This probably wasn't a good idea, as I am really awful at answering these things! I unfortunately freeze up and can't think or remember anything clearly! And millions of my absolute favorites are completely forgotten! So, really...don't take this as my final word on anything! ;-D

Anyway, here goes!



1. What is your all-time favorite Clark Gable movie?

It Happened One Night


Runner-up: Teacher's Pet

2. Do you like Joan Crawford best as a comedienne or a drama-queen?

Don't like her at all! Sorry!

^I do hope she won't be very angry!

3. In your opinion, should Ginger Rogers have made more musicals post-Fred Astaire?

Hmm, I really don't know! I love her SO MUCH with Fred! But, she's also so amazing, period. So, I really don't know!


4. I promise not to cause you bodily (or any other serious) harm if you don't agree with me on this one. So please be honest: do you like Elizabeth Taylor? Hm?

Eh...

I could really care less! I think she was an extremely talented and beautiful child/teenage actress. And, I do love her in Father of the Bride and Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, but otherwise she's just so-so!


5. Who is your favorite offscreen Hollywood couple?

Darin & Dee


Runners-up: Carole & Clark, Audrey & Mel, Ava & Frank, Tyrone & Annabella, and Orson & Rita!

6. How about onscreen Hollywood couple?

Oh! Um, I think, either Jean Arthur and Joel McCrea (in The More the Merrier) or Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney in Laura.




Oh junk, I almost forgot to add Doris and Rock in Pillow Talk!


And of course, Bobby and Sandra in That Funny Feeling!


And really I have many more, but these are just the ones that I thought of at the moment!

7. Favorite Jean Arthur movie?

The More the Merrier!


Runners-up: The Talk of the Town and Mr. Deeds Comes To Town

8. What was the first Gregory Peck movie you saw?

Don't know! He's always been there! Maybe Roman Holiday.


9. What film made you fall in love with Alfred Hitchcock? (And for those of you that say, "I don't like Hitchcock" -- what is wrong with you?!)

The Lady Vanishes.......since that was the first I saw! Of course, my adoration for all things Hitchcock started long before that! He has always been a revered figure in my home!

^I love Redgrave's mustache!

By the way, anyone who doesn't love Hitchcock should really have their heads bashed in! Just saying...

10. What is your favorite book-to-movie adaption?

Pride & Prejudice (1940)!

^My very favorite adaptation of P&P!

11. Do you prefer Shirley Temple as a little girl or as a teenager?

Teenager, I think, but I also used to adore her as a toddler when I was very young!


12. Favorite character actor?

WHAT?!?! I LOVE character actors! I even have three that I count in my top twenty actors ever (Peter Lorre, Keenan Wynn, and James Gleason)! I Also love, Marcel Dalio, Dame May Whitty, Patricia Hitchcock, Barry Fitzgerald, Jessie Royce Landis, Michael Dunn, Mary Wickes, Elsa Lanchester, Thelma Ritter, S.Z. "Cuddles" Sakall, Mildred Natwick, Basil Rathbone.

You can actually name any character actor and I'm almost certain to say I adore them!



13. Favorite Barbara Stanwyck role?

Hmm, either Meet John Doe or Ball of Fire. I think that Meet John Doe barely wins! But, really I love her in anything. Barbara is just one of my very, very, very favorites!

^She was my favorite non-musical (Read: non-Deanna Durbin) actress between the ages of six and eleven! I still absolutely adore her!

14. Who is your favorite of Cary Grant's leading ladies?

Ingy! And I ADORE Irene Dunne!




^The magnificent hat!

15. Bette Davis or Joan Crawford?

Bette without a doubt!

16. What actors and/or actresses do you think are underrated?

Dana Andrews, Ray Milland, James Gleason, Peter Lorre, Bobby Darin; Sandra Dee, Jean Arthur, Irene Dunne, Deanna Durbin, Cyd Charisse.....


17. What actors and/or actresses do you think are overrated?

Mwahahahaha! I was hoping you would ask!

Ahem...

Jimmy Stewart, Katherine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, Marlon Brando, Montgomery Clift [Merriam just won't understand]....


^Did you ever see a more annoying face?

18. Do you watch movies made pre-1980 exclusively, or do you spice up your viewing-fare with newer films?

No, I do watch some post-1980 films (I mean I was born mid-90's)! I love Pixar, especially!


19. Is there an actor/actress who you have seen in a film and immediately loved? If so, who?

Grace Kelly----Rear Window, Sandra Dee----Gidget, Dana Andrews----Laura...




20. Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire?

FRED!


Also, this is popular opinion! He won in my poll a couple months ago!

21. Favorite Ginger Rogers drama?

Don't know. I don't really have a favorite. I prefer her in comedies/musicals! Unless, of course you count Once Upon A Honeymoon as a drama (and I guess it technically is!)



P.S. I actually have an original movie poster for this film, that my mom bought at a little antique store for $3!

22. If you wrote a screenplay, who would be in your dream cast and what roles would they play? (Mixing actors and actresses from different generations is allowed: any person from any point in their career.)

AHHH! These questions always stress me out, because I can never think of cool answers!

Um, um, um, um...okay, I got it! Rock, Doris, Sandra Dee, and Bobby Darin. It would be an extremely stupid 60's comedy that just makes you strangely happy. Doris and Sandra would be sisters! And Rock and Bobby would just be random guys! ...Well, at least I would enjoy it...;-D


^This group, minus Gina and plus Doris! But, I still love Gina! In fact, I'm imploring you to vote for her in my poll [sidebar]! She's getting killed by Sophia!

23. Favorite actress?

Ingy!


25. Favorite actor?

Dana Andrews, Fred Astaire, William Powell, Ray Milland, and Gregory Peck TIED for first!

[For photos see sidebar]

26. And now, the last question. What is your favorite movie from each of these genres:

Are you stinkin' kidding me? I can't even choose when given a multiple choice between two movies!

Drama: NO! NO! NO!

Romance: Please don't make me!

Musical: I ADORE musicals! It is one of my favorite genres ever!

Comedy: Can't. Well, TECHNICALLY His Girl Friday is my FAVORITE, but I so love so many!

Western: IMPOSSIBLE!

Hitchcock (he has a genre all to himself): Shadow of a Doubt is number one. But, I adore every Hitchcock ever created!



^Technically this has nothing to do with anything! But, hey, you never go wrong with a little James Dean!


Thanks for the fun survey, Amanda!

-Millie!

11 comments:

Matthew Coniam said...

I just voted for Gina with a happy heart, but man, she's got plenty catching up to do.
By the way, I've never seen Shadow of a Doubt...

Millie said...

Yay, thank you Matthew!

I know, I'm afraid she just isn't going to make it!

Really? Oh, you so need to! It's a fabulous film. I consider Joseph Cotton's Uncle Charlie to be the greatest (and creepiest) Hitchcock villain EVER!

NoirGirl said...

Great answers, Millie! I'm having such fun reading all these tags. I'm going to write one up myself this morning. :)

You cracked me up with the caption under Jimmy Stewart's photo. And what a shameless James Dean promoter you are! You insert his photo anywhere you please! ;)

Elsie said...

I must return the compliments and tell you how much I love your blog, too!

Yay to Irene Dunne and finding Miss Hepburn overrated (I was never very big on her.)

Amanda Cooper said...

I voted for Gina!

By the way Millie, one of these days, you and I are going to have to have a long, serious talk about Jimmy and Joan. You're going down a dark path, and someone needs to pull you back. ; )

I'm very glad that you like Shirley best as a teenager - so few of us do and it's a little depressing!

Kate Gabrielle said...

Haha you're so funny with your James Stewart thing!

I think I like every single character actor ever, too (with one exception, Walter Catlett) I really get excited when I see their names in the credits :D

It's funny, I was one of the first ones to fill out the survey, and as I've read everyone else's I keep seeing things I should have picked instead- like Joel McCrea & Jean Arthur in The More the Merrier!! They are a fantastic screen couple! I can never remember what my favorites are when I have a list of questions in front of me!!

Harley said...

HAHA Mills, it's such a happy time when I come over here!

1. and 2.: Same.
I LOVEEEEEEEEEEE Jimmy and always will!!!!!!!!

PS: You should read mine. I have a feeling you'd love my made up movie. :)

Mercurie said...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who prefers Shirley Temple as a teenager. I was so afraid I'd get lynched when I admitted that when I did the survey! So far, it looks like I'm the only one to prefer Gene to Fred, though!

Millie said...

Casey: Well, frankly, that is exactly the thought that came into my head when I saw that photo!

Shameless is right! ;-D

Amanda: Yay! She needs it!

Eh, you can try, but it won't help much! Many others have gone before you...to no avail. Merriam even called her efforts "missionary work"...

She was a great at comedy as a teenager! TBATB is one of funniest films ever made!

Kate: It's not funny! It is VERY serious! ;-D

I know! Character actors rule the movie world!

Same with me! That's why I waited until others did it first, so I could copy their answers...;-D

Oh, I know! They are adorable together!

Harley: Aww, it's reciprocal!

UGH! UGH! UGH! Jimmy is very bad company for you!

I did read and did LOVE it!

Mercurie: Oh, no! Shirley was great as a teen!

Well, with good reason. Fred is far beyond #2 Gene! Hahaha, actually I think Nicole voted for Gene too!

Millie said...

I knew I skipped someone!

Elsie: Thank you SO much!

Irene Dunne is beyond stupendous!

Kate the "Great" (yeah, right!) is beyond annoying!

Mel said...

Wow I love your blog! Haha I agree with a lot of things you said in your survey, including the Pride and Prejudice thing (considering the story inaccuracies replaced by wonderful comedy!). Ugh I dislike Marlon Brando and Montgomery Clift too. They annoy me :(

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin