Thursday, October 1, 2009

The other night...

The other night, I had just watched The Notorious Landlady for the first time ever (thanks to Kate-Gabrielle) and was in that always after I watch any amazing new movie mood, where I need to watch something equally amazing. I mentally checked my mom's/family's extensive (we're talking hundreds) DVD collection, and wasn't coming up with anything interesting.

So, I literally checked my own collection...nothing! I mean, for the first time in my life, I just didn't want to watch Gidget Goes Hawaiian...;-D

So, I checked my stack from the library. Unfortunately, everything I had was super-depressing! Except for Captain Blood, but I promised to watch that with my littlest brother!

Suddenly, in a strange (and very unusual) burst of courage I decided to watch A Summer Place. You must understand, I have seen this movie just once...when I was 12 (and first really loved Sandra Dee). With that title and beach-like looking scene on the cover, I thought for sure it was going to be "just like Gidget".

If you know the film, you can probably imagine the shocked traumatization in my 12 year-old mind at the realization about 20 minutes in, that Sandra Dee was not going to be surfing!

It was an awful experience!

Anyways, back to the present.

I quickly walked over to my DVD player with A Summer Place in hand, I felt so brave.

And then I opened the case.

And I saw Troy Donahue's face. And, I begun to practically hyperventilate at the thought of over two hours of Troy's endless, mindless, boringness! Also, I recalled that Richard Egan and Dorothy McGuire (two actors who give me the shivers just thinking about their annoyingness) were also in it!

I just couldn't go through with it! I put the DVD back.

I deserted Sandra Dee!


I left her to the enemy...to perpetually live with Richard Egan as her wacko father, Dorothy McGuire as her weird stepmother, and that random star...who one can't understand why he's a star.

I'm sorry Sandra!


^Sandra attempting to hide from Troy...


...It didn't work! Poor, poor Sandra!


Anyways, to assuage my incredibly guilty feelings, I decided to watch one of my own films: That Funny Feeling.

This has Sandra Dee in a better environment, with better people surrounding her. Including the endlessly not-boring Bobby Darin, who with his charm and charisma could never be mistaken for That Other One with the scary voice!

And thus ends the saga of...well, I know I started out writing this with a point in mind, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it is now!

I'm not even joking! Sorry!


^This is right!

9 comments:

Kate Gabrielle said...

you are hilarious!

Millie said...

Thanks, Kate!

NoirGirl said...

Haha, Millie! You are completely hilarious! Dorothy McGuire and Richard Egan get me, too. I'm curious to see this "other one with the scary voice" now. Never heard of him before. ;)

I wish I had that fabulous hiding hat! There's quite a few people in my life it would come in very handy for. :D

Millie said...

Yay! I was hoping there wouldn't be any Dorothy fans that I would be upsetting!

Well, Troy does have a scary voice...it's so very strange! I still remember it, even thought I haven't watched a Troy film since I was twelve!

I know seriously, it really would help, plus is looks so super stylish!

Lolita said...

Hahaha! You are so lovely. I was really amused by this post! I haven't seen Troy Donahue in anything, but from your description it seems like I should feel lucky! Well, do I... punk? (Too much coffee = bad humor. Sorry about that.)

Amanda Cooper said...

Millie, great post! I can't remember when, but I know that I've had that feeling before about certain movies. It's awful!

Lolita, nice Dirty Harry reference!

Anonymous said...

Good call! Troy is so vapid that it even spills over on our darling Sandra. Much better to watch the chemistry with Bobby. You've seen Come September? Well, of course, you have. The writing is a little iffy, but no one's dull in that one.

Katie said...

I love all your posts! you totally remind me of myself!! digging through movies on netflix, TRYING to find one I am in the mood for that is sort of like another one...One of my fav sandra dees is Come September. I just added it to my queue...

Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

Richard Egan, annoying?

If you were a decent writer, it wouldn't be so bad, but you're not.

Oh wait, you're not a writer. You're a "blogger"...

Bahahaha. Nevermind.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin