Monday, December 21, 2009

Millie's ABSOLUTE Favorite Twenty Actresses!

Kate started a new tag of 20 Favorite Actresses, because some of us were just new to blogging when it went around last time! Anyways, just like my 20 Favorite Actors post in March, I am choosing my two favorite ROLES, not films of each particular actress!

Expect LOTS of cliches, cause that's what the cool people do! ;-D



1.
Ingy!

Favorite Roles: Paula Alquist in Gaslight; Alicia Huberman in Notorious

Will there ever in the history of the world be another actress, SO brilliant, SO gorgeous, and SO talented? I just DON'T think so!



2.
Audrey...

Nicole Bonet in How To Steal A Million; Princess Anne in Roman Holiday

Everything about Audrey is amazing. The reason she is still so popular today is that her personality, style, and everything is one of a kind, and NEVER boring!



3.
Grace!

Francie Stevens in To Catch A Thief; Tracy Lord in High Society

Grace was in just 11 films, and yet is still remembered today as one of the greatest actresses ever! That's because each performance was brilliant and unforgettable. You get the feeling Grace Kelly was just born a great actress.

THE REST ARE IN NO ORDER REALLY....except the first few are on a sorta different level then the lower ones, but not much!



Jean Arthur

Connie Mulligan in The More The Merrier; Mary Smith in Easy Living


Jean is just Jean! I don't know what to say. She's beautiful, she makes me laugh, she's a great actress. She was painfully shy, yet was one of the most natural actresses ever. You never even NOTICED she was acting! THAT'S BRILLIANCE!



The Carole

Ann Smith in Mr. and Mrs. Smith; Maria Tura in To Be or Not To Be

STUPENDOUSLY AMAZINGLY COOL!



Sandy

Gidget in Gidget; Joan Howell in That Funny Feeling

Sandra Dee is really horribly underrated. Even in her day she was dismissed as nothing but a "teen movie star". She was so much more. She was mind-blowing in her early dramatic roles (she was only 13 in her debut Until They Sail). And then was later shown to be a brilliant comedienne!




The Stanwyck

Elizabeth Lane in Christmas In Connecticut; Ann Mitchell in Meet John Doe

I've loved The Stanwyck since I was five. I was mesmerized when she came on screen. I watched anything and everything I could get my hands on! I still utterly adore her. SHEESH! I watched the entire first season of Big Valley for HER! (That was a great sacrifice by the way!)




Irene Dunne

Lucy Warriner in The Awful Truth; Ellen Arden in My Favorite Wife (COUGH....COUGH...cliche....COUGH...COUGH!)

A resume for Irene would look like this:

Hysterically funny; brilliantly amazing! Also does Oscar-nominated drama and and can sing opera. Oh, and she can be a delegate to the UN, if you need her too be.





Gene Tierney

Laura Hunt in Laura; Miranda Wells in Dragonwyck

Gosh, she's so annoying. I mean, she's one of the most absolutely gorgeous ladies ever...even though she had an underbite!! If that's not the most annoying thing ever, I don't know what is! Oh, she was also a brilliant actress.




Olivia De Havilland

Kit Carson Holliday in Santa Fe Trail; Cathrine Sloper in The Heiress

Where should I start? She could be in swashbucklers, play an insane person (The Snake Pit), play a "ugly" (kinda was too impossible) old maid, and a zillion other amazing roles! I am convinced she can play anything convincingly! Oh, and not to start a fight or anything, but Olivia was about 50 zillion times cooler and more amazing then her sister! ;-D



Doris Day

Jan Morrow in Pillow Talk; Erica Stone in Teacher's Pet; Calamity Jane in Calamity Jane
(rules are made to be broken.....I told you I love cliches! ;-D)

I ADORE DORIS! She's so amazing! It's impossible to NOT get happy watching her in a film. And that's why I love her so much! She can always cheer me up! (P.S. I wrote her last year and she sent me back a personalized, signed photo!!!)



Deanna Durbin

Caroline Frost in Can't Help Singing; Nikki Collins in Lady on a Train

She made 22 films in just 12 years and then just left (at the height of her popularity) Hollywood forever to have a family. Unfortunately she is virtually forgotten today, but I will ALWAYS remember her! And the joy she has brought to me, since I was about five or six!



Hayley Mills

Nikky Ferris in The Moon-Spinners; Patti Randall in That Darn Cat!

She is no normal "child star"! When describing Hayley people use words like "brilliant", "talented", and "stupendously amazingly cool" (well, actually, only I use the latter, since I DID copyright it)! I just LOVE her!



Joanne Woodward

Eve White, etc... in The Three Faces of Eve; Clara Varner in The Long, Hot Summer; Grace Oglethorpe Bannerman in Rally 'Round The Flag Boys (I've also got a kinda soft spot in my heart for A New Kind Of Love, no matter how awful that movie really was! ;-D)
Joanne's sorta a more recent favorite, but I think she's just so amazing! I don't know what to say. She could play everything (as evidenced by her amazing multiple personalities performance in The Three Faces of Eve!)! She could do crazy drama, or a wacky comedy, everything!



Natalie Wood

Maggie Dubois in The Great Race; Angie Rossini in Love with the Proper Stranger
Haha, I feel guilty putting Natalie down as one of my favorites, because Sarah and Merriam LOVE HER SOOOOOO MUCH! I always think they'll grill me and find me completely unworthy of calling her a fav! Hahaha! Anyways, I think Natalie is just crazy amazing! And so beautiful. She was a brilliant child actress and an even more brilliant leading lady!



Cyd Charisse

Gabrielle Gerard in Band Wagon; Ninotchka Yoschenko in Silk Stockings

Utterly and stupidly underrated! Cyd was a brilliant dancer (the greatest female dancer on film, in my opinion)! And a stupendous actress. Plus, she was beyond gorgeous. And, I really, really wish I had her voice! Hahaha....



Ginger Rogers

Susan Applegate in The Major and The Minor; Dinah Barkley in The Barkleys of Broadway (I'm one of the four people who actually think this film is amazing); Kathie O'Hara in Once Upon A Honeymoon

Love her! Not only was she one half of the greatest dancing team ever...she was an amazing actress. I don't know, she's just Ginger Rogers. She's impossible to not love!



Thelma Ritter

Alma in Pillow Talk; Stella in Rear Window (she's got all the good lines); Birdie in All About Eve (um, she's actually the only reason I ever watch this movie....)

Thelma rules.



Myrna Loy

Muriel Blandings in Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House; Nora Charles in anything

Myrna was great in everything. It's just as simple as that. There is NO role she was not amazing in. I really do just love her!

I am seriously hyperventilating right now, trying to decide my 20th! I keep feeling like I'm forgetting someone beyond important! AHHHHHHHHHHH! Well, I'll just go for it!



Rosalind Russell

Sylvia Fowler in The Women; Hildy Johnson in His Girl Friday
Roz was so stinkin' cool! I personally like her comedies best, but her dramas were just as brilliant! She more than deserved that 20th place!


Okay, I did it! You don't even want to know how hard that was for me!!!!! Now, will come list-makers regret! (Yes, I'm so cool, I get to make up my own disorders!) I always get list-makers regret! I make a list, and then realize I forgot someone and then get incredibly depressed. Anyways, here's hoping I won't get it! ;-D

I would love to see your favorite twenty lists too! Consider yourself tagged!

13 comments:

Lily Lemontree said...

Excellent list! Love all of these talented ladies!

C.K. Dexter Haven said...

What a great list! You get 600 bonus points for including Thelma Ritter! Lovely pic of Audrey and Myrna, too.

monty said...

That is one great list. I can't wait to do mine now. I loved your little write-ups about each actress, making your list seem very personal. I can tell you right now, our lists will be very similar since some of my favorites are Lombard, Dunne, Loy, Day, and Kelly. But I just did my fave actors yesterday so it might be after the holidays before I tackle another list. But like I said, a very impressive list. Well done Millie.

KC said...

Yay--you included Irene Dunne and Thelma Ritter! I feel like those two always get forgotten, though I know so many people love them.

Millie said...

Lily: Thank you! Oh, they all were SOO talented!

C.K. YAYA! 600 bonus points puts my list just a little beyond Kate's! ;-D Thank you! My little "theme" for the photos was to have them all smiling! It was actually by accident! I picked the first three photos (Ingy, Audrey, and Grace) and they all sorta matched.

Monty: Oh, I can't wait to see yours! Well, all those ladies are utterly amazing! Thank you SOOO much!

KC: There was NO way I could make a list that did not include those two ladies.Yeah, that's true! People often remember them AFTER they make their list! And that often happens to me as well! Hahaha, you know, list-makers regret! ;-D

Mercurie said...

Yeah! Some of my favourites are on the list--Gracie, Audrey, Cyd, and Gene. I love the picture of Gene. I've been looking for a cheesecake shot of her for ages! And Myrna looks just gorgeous in that shot!

sallytonks said...

Fantastic list!! I agree with so many of your choices and so many of the choices in your choices! I completely agree with you about Sandra Dee being underrated and I totally agree with you about Olivia being the cooler sister! I love that you put Cyd on your list - she's one of my absolute favs and I think she tends to overlooked.

flyingdowntohollywood.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

Psh, like I'd grill you on your Nat trivia. (where was she born what are her daughters names how many times did she marry robert wagner why was her mother so crazy) ;D

And I'm so happy to see Thelma Ritter on here! I've always loved her! :D

Millie said...

Mercurie: Well, those ladies were just brilliantly amazing! Glad you liked them!

Sally: YES! Sandra Dee rules! Well, for me, I just think Joan played a similar character in every film, although, I know there are people who would disagree with me! Totally! Cyd NEVER gets enough praise!

Sarah: AHHHHHHH! I knew it was coming! Okay, here goes: Tokyo Japan, Alberta and Cordelia, 6 times, she ate a few too many melted Cherry Honey Ricolas! How'd I do?!!??!!?

Thelma is just too cool!

Harley said...

Awww, I loved this!

Fantastic photo of fab Aud; I LOOOOOOOOVE it!

And wowie kazam (hehe), Thelma Ritter?! I Love her! And Roz! And Cyd! And Myrna!!!
You're such a gem, Millie, but really!

LOL, I loved the annoying bit on Gene; I'm getting to be a bad influence on you. ;-D--> I do not take credit, I know that's all yours lol.

Fantastic fabulous list.

texasoperastar said...

Thanks for that excellent photo of Deanna Durbin who is my favourite actress and singer.

www.deannadurbindevotees.com

Amanda Cooper said...

I had a lot of fun reading your Top 20 - they're all great actresses.

I'm glad to see that someone else loves The Barkleys of Broadway! I was a little worried that I was the only one.

Ruby said...

I loved the entry, Ingrid is my absolutely fave too.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin