Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Kate and Millie's Brilliantly Insane Evil Asthmatic Survey (non-asthmatics MAY participate)




That's right. Right on the heels of (well, actually more like 8 miles behind) the brilliant successes of Matthew and Amanda's respective classic film surveys, Kate and I undertook to create our own.

We both contributed questions. Kate's questions are first, I THINK it should be pretty obvious when my questions begin (PICK KID CURRY!), ahem, anyway. We hope you participate in this survey. It should give a clear understanding of JUST what it's like to live: brilliant, insane, evil, and asthmatic. 'Tis a difficult life to be sure. ;-D

First my own personal answers (I knew you wouldn't be able to do anything else without reading these first! ;-D); and then at the bottom, the questions in a "easy to copy and paste" format.



Which actors do you always (or did you always) mix-up?
(For example: Millie's tendency to confuse William Powell and Clark Gable when she was a thirteen, er, four year-old? Yes, I am talking in the third person.)

Well, really, I'll just use the example. It's quite correct. My favorite films at the age of four were: My Man Godfrey and It Happened One Night. I couldn't for the life of me remember who was who. I blame the mustaches.


Gidget or Beach Party?

This one is rather cruel...but not TOO difficult. (If that sentence doesn't make sense: I'm sorry! It's late. And I was just reading some Yeats.) I own the complete movie series of both, I love two of the Gidget's. Hate the other one. I mind-smushingly enjoy mostly all of the Beach Party's (believe me, there is a SCARY amount of them!). But, Gidget has it. She has it! GIDGET IS STINKIN' SANDRA DEE. No one competes with Sandy for title of Queen of the Beach Teens. Seriously. I also have an odd and utterly unhealthy fascination with Gidget Goes Hawaiian. No Sandy, no plot, no non-corniness is to be found; but I seriously can quote it line for line! This is not meant in any way to take away from Frankie + Annette, because they are cool too!

Favorite Movie Outfit?

Tie. Pink outfit from The Moon-Spinners and the Black Lace amazingness from How to Steal A Million. Worn by Hayley Mills and Audrey Hepburn respectfully.

If you could be ANY character in ANY movie...who would you choose?

I am tempted to say the two characters from the above question, it would be utter fun to be both! But, I think most of all, I would want to be Carole Lombard....in anything. Something about her and the way she played all of her characters. She was gorgeous, hilarious, intelligent, all-around perfect, etc.


If you could marry ANY character in ANY movie...who would you choose? (Excluding any Dana Andrews' characters. Seriously. Don't even think about it.)

I have no idea. Really. Seriously Kate, why do not just make multiple choice questions!? ;-D

If you could live in ANY movie...which would you choose?

I answered this question for a contest once....The Parent Trap. Twin sister, cool 60's clothes, sabotaging crazy would-be-step-mother. Yes, this could be fun. Plus, this film only gives me happy memories.

Black & White movies you wish were in Technicolor, or vice-versa?


Hmm, I would love to see Roman Holiday in color. I mean, I LOVE the black and white. It's gorgeous. But, can you just imagine the breath-takingness of Rome and Audrey in color?

Favorite Movie Soundtrack?


This one is so stinkin' hard. Especially because I adore musicals so! I think MAYBE, Kiss Me Kate. I sing its songs constantly. Wunderbar, I Hate Men, Brush Up Your Shakespeare, Too Darn Hot, In My Fashion, We Open in Venice, So In Love, Were Thine That Special Face. The songs are brilliance. I mean it IS Cole Porter!



Favorite Movie Dance Sequence?


Another hard one. I do believe the prize must go to The Barn Dance from Seven Brides For Seven Brothers. It's "magical" (ahahahah!).



Coolest Movie Star?
(Cough, cough, BOBBY DARIN, cough, cough)



Oh my, I see that I have already answered this question. Definitely Bobby Darin. He just is. They don't call him "the divine god of cool" for nothing. (Actually, it's only me that calls him the divine god of cool. But still.)



Sophia or Gina (Oh, how Kate enjoys replaying Gina's sad defeat OVER AND OVER!)

"I'm Italian! ....I DON'T HAVE TO MAKE SENSE!" <-- Pretty much sums up why Gina is so spectacularly cool. (See: Come September)

"Isn't It Romantic" in most Billy Wilder films, or "Red River" in most John Ford films?

"Oh, Sabrina, Sabrina....where have you been all my life?"

"Right over the garage."

Awwww. Oh, um, well, yeah. I'm rather partial to the former. ;-D

If you could re-cast ANY role in ANY movie, what would it be?

North By Northwest. Ingy instead of Eva Marie Saint.


Favorite movie character with your first name?


Since my real first name is a sworn secret, we'll go with my favorite Millie (which incidentally WAS going to be the subject of a post, so you guys are gonna have to kinda forget this right after you read it. And comment. ;-D)

Favorite Millie is: Millie Helper. The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Favorite movie Millie is: Milly Pontipee. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers!


One movie that should NEVER be remade? (under THE THREAT OF A SLOW, PAINFUL DEATH!)

Gidget.

OH WAIT. I FORGOT. They are already taking my beloved beach movie with the talented and adorable Sandra Dee and remaking it with MILEY CYRUS AND ZAC EFRON.

My life is nearing an end.

Actor or Actress who you would love to be best friends with?


Audrey Hepburn. Or Ingrid Bergman. Or Carole Lombard. Or so many other amazing actresses. I just don't know.

Are you an Oscar or a Felix?


A bit of both. I like to tell people that there is always an eternal struggle going on inside me. Both conflicting ideas and thoughts fighting it out....mostly with Oscar winning. BUT OH WELL! Haha!

Actor/Actress you originally hated and now love?


Not a lot of choices here. If I like an actor I'll defend them to the death. But, if I don't....well you may note the gravestones of Jimmy Stewart, William Shatner, Katherine Hepburn, Marlon Brando, etc...

But, anyway, Humphrey Bogart. Couldn't stand him for much of my childhood. The ending of Sabrina has never exactly sat well with me...

But, Casablanca came along and all was forgiven. He was cool again. And he let Ingy go off with The Cool Voice, so yeah.

Actor/Actress you originally loved and now don't like?


Hmmmm. The thing with me, is when I hate. I hate IMMEDIATELY. Of course in my young childhood...I rarely hated, but I was indifferent to some (Katherine Hepburn for example) and didn't LOVE them. I really can't think of one person I used to love and now don't like.

Favorite performance that was looked over by Oscar?
(Not to be confused with the aforementioned Oscar of Felix fame.)

DANA ANDREWS WAS NEVER NOMINATED. I think Laura (understated, nuanced acting at its best), Best Years of Our Lives (clearly the greatest performance in that film), and The Ox-bow Incident (Wow.) ALL deserved Oscars.

Bewitched or I Dream of Jeannie?

For a devoted fan of classic TV, I regret to say, I have seen neither. EEEEEEKKKK! I will start soon though. I promise.

Hannibal Heyes or Kid Curry?
(Hint for those who don't know who they are: pick Kid Curry.)

The Kid = one of the coolest TV characters EVER. Obviously he wins. I love Heyes! BUT NOT IN ANY WAY AS MUCH AS I LOVE KID. Seriously. And plus, crazily, everyone loves Heyes more?!!? I explained this to some of my Non-fleshies...and got them to watch an episode (or eight) with me. TRAITORS.

They all love Heyes too. No idea why. I think they are just trying to drive me to slow insanity.

Favorite Style Icon: Fred Astaire or Cary Grant?

This one is tough. I had a Most Stylish Actor poll a few months ago, and Fred and Cary tied with a resounding lead.

Hmm. As much as I completely adore Fred's style. Cary, aka he-who-wears-polka dots-and-stripes, wins for me by just a slight amount!


Single most favorite movie scene EVER?


Oh my gosh. I can't even think. I think it MAY be a toss-up between the final scene in Laura, the opening scene in Rebel Without a Cause, this scene in High Society, the "hall of mirrors" scene in Lady From Shanghai, and the "You can stick Hitler on the funny pages!" scene in His Girl Friday. Among others.


Movie you really "should" see, but have subconsciously been avoiding for who knows what reason?

Lawrence of Arabia. I've seen bits and pieces of it. But long films frighten me. I think this comes from watching too many 89min Beach Party movies, who knows?! I AM committing to see this. Soon. Hopefully.

Also: On the Waterfront. Watching Marlon Brando act makes me want to go strangle cute little puppies. I don't know why! ;-D


Movie quote you find yourself most often repeating in real life?



Half of what I say IS movie quotes. My most oft used quote is PROBABLY: "I will go....but I MUST be fed!" From the completely brilliant Alastair Sim version of A Christmas Carol (Scrooge).

Also, it's kind of hysterical, but whenever anyone says: "This is MURDER!" or "You're telling me!" I automatically say, "You're in the groove, Jackson!". If I'm with my younger brothers, and someone says one of those things (in normal conversation) one of us will say one of the others and another one of us will say the third (is this confusing!? ;-D). It comes from The Road to Rio.

And, if there is ever an awkward pause in a conversation, I often find myself saying out loud in a stilted, poetic voice: "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderly again..."

Needless to say, it worsens the awkwardness.

50's Westerns or 60's Spies? (I can't even answer this myself...but you have to! MWAHAHAHA!)


This is of course forcing me to choice between, Josh Randall...and The Saint. The Cartwrights...and The Avengers. It's just too hard. Thankfully, there is a show that bridges the gap, the all-around brilliant 60's sci-fi, spy western: The Wild Wild West

Favorite splashy, colorful, obnoxious 50's musical?


Too hard. I mustache this genre FAR too much. I think I would MAYBE have to go with Annie Get Your Gun. Splashy, colorful, obnoxious, and brilliant.

Favorite film setting (example: Rome, Paris, Seattle, Siberia, Chile, Sahara Desert, etc)

Seattle/Washington. No doubt. Although, it is used more often in modern films than classic ones, sadly.

Alternate: London is always good for being cool, or happy, or atmospheric (I don't even know what that means, but London is! ;-D). Although, I've never gotten out of Heathrow Airport, I have spent approximately two days there in different layovers, so it's safe to assume I AM AN EXPERT on London. Hahaha! But, seriously, it's probably the nicest smelling airport I've ever been in. AND free internet. And great tea. But, I feel like I'm leaving the main point here so...

If you could own the entire wardrobe of any film, which would it be?

Come September, That Funny Feeling, How to Steal a Million, Sabrina, To Catch a Thief, or The Moon-Spinners.

Carol Burnette
or Lucille Ball?


I really just want to declare it a tie. I have been watching I Love Lucy since before I can I remember, yet Carol Burnett is also brilliantly funny. And they BOTH can make me laugh out loud hysterically!

Favorite Voice. Ever. Period?

I love voices. I have a series going on right now about my favorite voices. I have hundreds of second places. But, just one voice can fully claim first place:

Fred Astaire.

His voice. His speaking voice, literally just makes me happy. If I was given the choice of never hearing him talk...or never watching him dance...I would have to go for giving up his dancing. THAT is how much I love his voice.

Favorite movie that takes place in your home-state?



Another time, another place, I probably would have told you The Egg and I, but just a couple months ago, I discovered THAT IS TAKES PLACE IN NEW YORK. WHAT?! This is strange, given the fact that the book, a true story, takes place in Washington. Also, in later Ma & Pa Kettle's it is clear they live in Washington. The town they live in is on the Northern Coast of Washington. There are road signs pointing to Seattle and Olympia. So apparently, Ma and Pa moved their entire house across the country after the first film.

Whoa. HAHA! I'm sorry. I'm just a little bitter. ;-D

Anyway, NOW I would have to tell you: The Slender Thread. I saw it for the first time a month or so ago. It's beautiful. Filmed on location in Seattle, it really captures the feel of the city in the 60's. Very times-capsuleish!
Which actors would you want for relatives? (Mother, Father, Grandma, Crazy Aunt, annoying cousin, older brother, etc...)

Mother: Doris Day

Father: (Stealing this from Kate) Alastair Sim in Stage Fright, Gregory Peck

Grandfather: Alfred Hitchcock. He would so be the coolest Grandpa...ever.

Grandmother: An older Lauren Bacall. I'm picturing her in All I Want For Christmas.

Uncles: Orson Welles (he would be the Uncle who shows up once every three years, BUT BRINGS TONS OF COOL PRESENTS! Also, he would probably randomly decided to take you on a trip to China with him or something), Cary Grant (he would always show up...and brings tons of cool presents), Bobby Darin (cool Uncle), Fred Astaire (best Uncle ever.)

Aunts
Normal: Joanne Woodward (cool, artsy Aunt), Irene Dunne (Hilarious. Also, would probably remember everything about you and what your favorite flavor of ice cream was, etc), Rosalind Russell (same)
Crazy: Ava Gardner (Kinda crazy, but really nice), Bette Davis (I don't even know.)

Cool older brothers: Jack Lemmon (the nice older brother who drives you to the store to buy licorice and pop), James Dean ("sensitive", poetic, really funny), Robert Montgomery (the one who comes home and then everyone rushes around him, willing to do whatever he wants - you're just glad he's home for once). Can you tell I have older brothers?! ;-D

Hilarious older sisters: Audrey Hepburn (perfect. In every way. sheesh!), Ingrid Bergman (the super-hilarious, "witty one"), Carole Lombard (the "cool" one, hilarious, artsy, fun), Sandra Dee (completely just fun...and really nice), and Hayley Mills (always willing to help you out and also hysterically funny). I also have two hilarious, cool, nice older sisters.

Cute little brothers: Jerry Mathers in The Trouble With Harry.

Annoying cousin: Mickey Rooney in just about anything! (But, I still think he's cool! ;-D)


That's it. All pseudo-brilliant things must come to an end! Thanks for reading and REALLY, please take the survey! Boost some blogger-esteem! ;-D

-Millie!



Which actors do you always (or did you always) mix-up? (For example: Millie's tendency to confuse William Powell and Clark Gable when she was a thirteen, er, four year-old? Yes, I am talking in the third person.)

Gidget or Beach Party?

Favorite Movie Outfit?

If you could be ANY character in ANY movie...who would you choose?

If you could marry ANY character in ANY movie...who would you choose? (Excluding any Dana Andrews' characters. Seriously. ;-D)

If you could live in ANY movie...which would you choose?

Black & White movies you wish were in Technicolor, or vice-versa?

Favorite Movie Soundtrack?

Favorite Movie Dance Sequence?

Coolest Movie Star? (Cough, cough, BOBBY DARIN, cough, cough)

Sophia or Gina (Oh, how Kate enjoys replaying Gina's sad defeat OVER AND OVER!)

"Isn't It Romantic" in most Billy Wilder films, or "Red River" in most John Ford films?

If you could re-cast ANY role in ANY movie, what would it be?

Favorite movie character with your first name?

One movie that should NEVER be remade? (under THE THREAT OF A SLOW, PAINFUL DEATH!)

Actor or Actress who you would love to be best friends with?

Are you an Oscar or a Felix?

Actor/Actress you originally hated and now love?

Actor/Actress you originally loved and now don't like?

Favorite performance that was looked over by Oscar? (Not to be confused with the aforementioned Oscar of Felix fame.)

Bewitched or I Dream of Jeannie?

Hannibal Heyes or Kid Curry? (Hint for those who don't know who they are: pick Kid Curry.)

Favorite Style Icon: Fred Astaire or Cary Grant?

Single most favorite movie scene EVER?

Movie you really "should" see, but have subconsciously been avoiding for who knows what reason?

Movie quote you find yourself most often repeating in real life?

50's Westerns or 60's Spies? (I can't even answer this myself...but you have to! MWAHAHAHA!)

Favorite splashy, colorful, obnoxious 50's musical?

Favorite film setting (example: Rome, Paris, Seattle, Siberia, Chile, Sahara Desert, etc)

If you could own the entire wardrobe of any film, which would it be?

Carol Burnette or Lucille Ball?

Favorite Voice. Ever. Period?

Favorite movie that takes place in your home-state?

Which actors would you want for relatives? (Mother, Father, Grandma, Crazy Aunt, annoying cousin, older brother, etc...)

20 comments:

DKoren said...

My sister and I often do the "this is murder" "You're in the groove, Jackson" "You're telling me?" routine! We also will spontaneously burst into song with "Everybody here loves chicken cacciatore! oooh-ooh-oooh!"

This survey is too funny. You guys crack me up!

Kate Gabrielle said...

wow, we did pick a lot of the same answers! Creepy! Although based solely on your fondness for obnoxious 50's musicals, it's clear that the same person did not fill out both surveys ;-)

And I think it's hilarious that the only question both of us didn't answer was the dislike now question, and WE wrote the survey! ha!

And wait they are remaking Gidget??? WITH THE GIRL WHO IS NOT HAYLEY MILLS???? WHAT???? (I'm referring to that Roger Ebert thing, you know I know Hayley didn't star in Gidget..)

And btw your family sounds so awesome. Especially your older brothers -- Jack Lemmon and Robert Montgomery! And I totally pictured all of the relatives gathering around him when he came home, they always seem to do that to him in his early movies! lol!

And I just have to add that that picture of Ingy in your best friends answer makes me realize that Susan Hayward would be a pretty awesome bff too!!

Meredith said...

haha this is great fun!!! definitely will be filling out. :) and.... my current expression regarding that remake cannot be properly described. ugh.

NoirGirl said...

WHAT?! A REMAKE OF GIDGET??? AND WITH WHO?!?!?! Please say that is just a leftover April Fool's joke. I can't imagine the horror that would be if actually made. ugh.

BUT back to real business at hand:

You and Kate really did pick tons of the same answers! Are you sure each of you had full use of the brain as you were writing this?? ;)

I love that little graphic at the beginning with the hot pink arrows drawing attention to Bill & Clark's mustaches. They really do look the same, you're right!

Yay for the Hayley outfit! I couldn't believe Kate overlooked it!

You truly NEED to watch Lawrence of Arabia. Just to see Peter O'Toole being his magnificently stunning and gorgeous self. Plus the supporting cast is thrilling! Omar Sharif, Anthony Quinn, Claude Rains, Alec Guinness! What more could you want?? You just need to have a large box of tissues ready...

I honestly do not understand your hatred for Marlon Brando! How can you love James Dean to no end and hate Brando? Makes no sense at all. Plus you like Guys and Dolls! Marlon sings and is so sweet in that! You must explain yourself Miss Millie. You simply must!

Clara aka aguass said...

Marlon Brando's acting & strangling puppies, LOL!
Well, I'm asthmatic, Spanish is my first language and I live in Chile (which was hinted like one of the most remote places to go filming...which it is), but I answered this survey anyway :)

I hope you can read it (I wrote it in English of course):

HERE

Sally said...

Okay. This survey is seriously cool. I love it!

Apparently I really, truly need to see How To Steal A Million. I promise to do this as soon as possible.

I'm very sorry to hear that Gidget is being remade!

Now you two have honestly confused me about the Heyes/Curry debate. I hope you're satisfied.

I can't think of anything else to comment on here. This survey is brilliant. I can't wait to fill it out!

Kate Gabrielle said...

Ok, one more thing. I totally had you pegged as 100% Oscar.. Felix would never have moldy sandwiches and hyenas living under his bed! Seriously!! ;-D

Sarah said...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ABOUT THE EFRON/VIRUS COLLAB FOR GIDGET OR CAN YOU PLEASE JUST PUSH ME OFF A BUILDING
UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHH

Sorry I get very passionate about these things. :)

I am definitely doing this!!

Java Bean Rush said...

I'm taking the challenge. You are funny! :)

Mr Pendlebury said...

Manhattan Melodrama must blow your mind!

Kristin said...

Nice survey. =) I'm probably going to do it on my blog in a few days!

~Kristin

Amanda Cooper said...

Wow! This is so awesome! I definitely have to do this.

I love that you chose Ingrid Bergman for a sister - she would be terrific.

You seriously need to see Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie - you'd love them!

Thanks for the mention and the link.

- Amanda

Amanda Cooper said...

P.S. They're remaking Gidiget???!!!! With those two?? HOW DARE THEY!!

Elisabeth said...

I can only answer a few of these...

Favorite movie outfit? Audrey Hepburn's blouse and skirt in Roman Holiday springs to mind.

Favorite soundtrack? Musical: The Sound of Music, of course. Non-musical: The Cowboys by John Williams and To Kill A Mockingbird by Elmer Bernstein.

Puzzled: I'm not aware of a song actually called 'Red River.' If you mean the theme from Red River, it was called 'Settle Down' in that movie and re-written as 'My Rifle, My Pony and Me' for Rio Bravo. Neither of those films is a John Ford film; I think they're both Howard Hawks. But I get the idea. :) Forgive the rant - songs and who wrote them are kind of my thing.

Matthew Coniam said...

Done it!

Rhapsody in Blue said...

Really cool survey and great answers! Will be taking!

DKoren said...

I just completed the survey as well!

Audrey said...

I LOVE Millie Helper and the barn scene from SBfSB (that was my favorite movie when I was little).

No disrespect intended, but is it just me or does Lawrence of Arabia have eye makeup on? I've never seen all of that movie, either, so maybe it's really cool…but I agree in it being long. I guess I need to pin myself down and watch it though!

I also am quite taken with your fictional famous family (yay, alliteration!) and the descriptions. Sounds like a fun bunch. :)

Katherine Doherty said...

If blogs were around when I was younger, I would have totally started one like this! It is scary how much I relate to your posts!! My life revolves around classic movies and music. Thanks for posting these! I will definitely be featuring your blog on mine! xo katie

Elisabeth said...

I thought of answers to a couple more of these:

One movie that should NEVER be remade? (under THE THREAT OF A SLOW, PAINFUL DEATH!): The Sound of Music

If you could own the entire wardrobe of any film, which would it be?: Shirley Temple's in The Story of Seabiscuit and Gale Storm and Sally Payne's wardrobes combined in The Man From Cheyenne.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin