Saturday, May 22, 2010

Just finished watching "Doctor, You've Got to Be Kidding!"


Raquelle had recommended this film to me before, but I had never got the chance to see it. She also informed me it was airing on TCM in late April and the dahling Kate sent me a copy of it!

It was stinkin' brilliant! Seriously! Parts of it had me literally laughing out loud, as I sat alone making a Cary Grant finger puppet at 1am. ;-D

Sandra Dee was so utterly perfect! I really don't understand why so many people don't think she was talented. She is completely hilarious.

And George Hamilton, well, he was being, um, George Hamilton. Arrogant, annoying, AND completely insufferable. But, since that was exactly what his character was supposed to be, it sorta worked. Haha!

And there was Celeste Holm being perfectly wonderful. I seriously don't think she ever ages. EVER.

And Dwayne Hickman. I don't even know. I still haven't decided if he is, in real life, a clueless dork-- or if that's just the character he played IN EVERY SINGLE MOVIE HE WAS EVER IN! And believe me, I have seen A LOT of Dwayne Hickman movies. I don't go out of my way to watch his movies, he just randomly pops up in pretty much every other movie I watch from the late 50's-60's. I don't know if that says something about the QUALITY of the films I watch.....

Anyway, it's pretty hard NOT to like Dwayne and he plays the clueless dork perfectly as usual.

And there's Bill Bixby. My ten year-old brother's idol. For him, it's: Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, Bobby Darin, Dean Martin, and Bill Bixby. My brother can tell you where and when he was born, how many wives he had-- and when and where they were born-- and random other extremely creepy facts at the blink of an eye.

And there's another guy, but I completely can't remember his name, so he is REALLY immaterial and unnecessary. ;-D

Anyway, this movie was just amazing. at around 95min it was WAAAY too short! It was one of those movie you don't want to end!

I think my favorite scene is when Sandra Dee gets home very late from rehearsal and Dwayne has been waiting to talk to her on her porch all night, and just as she's coming up the steps he comes out of the shadows (and Sandy doesn't realize who he is at first) and she starts screaming for Bill (her next-door neighbor) he comes running out and tackles Dwayne and starts karate chopping him. And Sandy's mother, Celeste comes running out of her house with a plunger and starts hitting Dwayne AND Bill on the heads and everyone is screaming. And I just started laughing hysterically.

It's just small parts like this (which doesn't sound at all funny, after I tried to explain it! ;-D) that make the film so hilarious.

I mean even the "serious" parts are hysterical. Later in the film Sandy and Celeste are having a serious-- a VERY SERIOUS-- discussion and in the background you can faintly hear and see Dwayne, Bill, and the other guy fighting in the back yard, Bill still karate chopping poor, clueless Dwayne.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone, it was really, literally, brilliant!

Thanks for the recommend, Raquelle and the copy, Kate!

6 comments:

monty said...

Great post Millie. I wanted to see this and had my recorder set to record but for some reason it didn't. I was highly upset. But I'm sure TCM will air it again.

Sarah said...

I recorded this too, I just haven't watched it yet! I saw the last 10 minutes however, and they looked amazing!

PS: I love how your bday post popped up in "You also might like" and BAM there's my face. :)

Millie said...

Monty: Thanks! Oh, I'm sure they will, and you can always buy a copy off of Kate for $5 (it just covers the cost of the disc and shipping) if you REALLY want to see it! Haha!

Sarah: Ooh! YOU HAVE TO SEE IT! As a fellow crazy 60's movies fan, I KNOW you'll love it!

AHAHAHA! I know! I actually clicked on it then, and watched the video you made for me! Haha!

Raquelle said...

I'm so glad you got to see this and that you liked it! I love this movie. It's just perfectly 60s and it's all Sandra Dee! Did you read up about how Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee broke up during the filming of the movie. There is a scene when she freaks out and they filmed that the day she and Bobby parted. Oh man I should do a post on that.

Anyways, I'm so glad there is someone else out there that loves this movie. I was thinking I'd be the only one!

Millie said...

I know! It really is all Sandra Dee! The support are good, but Sandy IS the movie. She's in almost every single scene, right?

I knew they broke up around this time, I didn't know it was in the filming of this movie! :-( THAT MAKES ME SO SAD! Especially because there are photos of Bobby and Dodd celebrating Sandra's birthday...ON THE SET! Have you ever heard Sandra sing "When I Fall in Love"? It is literally the most heart-breaking thing ever!

I LOVE THIS MOVIE! I want to watch it again tonight! It was so happy and funny!

Java Bean Rush said...

I saw only a portion of it before I had to leave. Sandra Dee is mature in this film [I mostly know her from the late 1950s and early 1960s]. I wish I had recorded it.

I noticed the transitions and music seemed to have a TV sitcom style. It was an interesting way to make a movie.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin