Sunday, May 30, 2010

Vincent Price is pretty stinkin' cool!


I adore Vincent Price. I have for a long time. I think he was completely brilliant; and his voice is one of my top ten favorites....EVER! If the name Vincent Price is on it-- I WILL watch it. I've seen him in everything from Dragonwyck (Favorite. Vincent. Role. Ever.) to The Brady Bunch (no comment). And he is always amazing.

The reason he is still pretty stinkin' cool (and the reason for this post) is because my 14 year-old brother will actually watch Vincent Price films. THAT'S MIRACULOUS! Zach is the most uncooperative person ever, film-wise. His favorite movie is Spider-Man, so, um, yeah. I'm always trying to get him to watch old movies with me and he literally refuses. I've had to become sneaky and make them sound "cooler" than they really are (well to him). Mwahaha! I once got him to watch Laura by telling him it was a murder mystery/ghost story (well, Dana DOES think Gene is perhaps a ghost for a split-second ;-D). I MEAN, HE FALLS ASLEEP WATCHING HITCHCOCK FILMS. He is a literally a mutant, and it is difficult to understand what relation he has to me.

Anyway, lately he'll watch old movies with me...if they are horror movies.

--I must take a moment to explain something: I can't even handle watching Twilight Zone's alone, as they scare the heck out of me. Alfred Hitchcock is my favorite director, but I always spend most of Psycho with my face hidden behind a pillow. Scary movies and I are not a good fit, although I can't help myself from watching as many as I can.--

It all started a few months ago with Dead of Night. I have no idea HOW I convinced him to watch a B/W film from the forties, but I did. And he LOVED it! More recently we watched The Uninvited (thanks KATE!). And he was actually SCARED! (Not as scared as I, who begged him to sleep in the family room on one of the couches, so I wouldn't be alone that night. He didn't listen. ;-D) Then we watched The Unseen (again, Thanks Kate!). He was slightly disappointed that it wasn't a "real" ghost story, but he still said it was pretty good. That's craziness. Maybe he's beginning to develop an appreciation for classics! ;-D We watched Psycho for his birthday and he loved that. And just this weekend we watched a couple of Vincent Price's (finally to the point of this post!).

House on Haunted Hill and House of Wax.

HE ADORED THEM. Especially the first. He actually went around making sure all the doors were locked after watching it! Mwaahaha! And Zach wants to watch another one tonight. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called, but Vincent is glowing red on the DVD cover. (I think I requested these all at my library when I was in a particularly courageous mood! ;-D)

After House on Haunted Hill, I wanted to watch House of Wax. I told my brother the basic plot and he responded by exclaiming the apparent dorkiness and boringness of it. I told him the star was Vincent-- AND HE IMMEDIATELY WANTED TO WATCH IT.

That's proof that Vincent Price is still amazingly cool. He's got a new fan in the form of a 14 year-old, Spider-Man-loving guy. That's power. Scary power. And if this was a B-movie from the 50's, I wouldn't hesitate to believe that Vincent was using the power to manipulate our minds...

I have NO idea what this is from, but it looks like he's holding Peter Lorre's head. Whatever this is, it looks kinda awesome!

-Millie

9 comments:

Cheryl Morris said...

Millie, that photo of Vincent Price holding a "Peter Lorre head" is a publicity still from their film "Tales of Terror", American International Pictures, 1962. Vincent was in all three of the stories; Peter was in the middle story, "The Black Cat" segment. Enjoy!

Millie said...

Ooh! Thank you so much! I'll have to check that out!

I love your blog! I completely adore Peter Lorre! He is one of my top twenty favorite actors EVER!

Matthew Coniam said...

Watch 'The Pit & The Pendulum' - it'll scare the bejesus out of the little tyke.

Cheryl Morris said...

Glad you enjoyed my "Peter Lorre News" blog, Millie! I hope you'll get a chance to come and visit my Peter Lorre website -- http://www.PeterLorreBook.com. And if you go to the DVD section of that site, you'll find out where you can get a copy of "Tales of Terror".

emme said...

I'm with you on this one, Millie...

I get scared to death by any film with even the teensiest bit of horror or "scariness" thrown in. :P

Though...I must admit, I *have* to finish a film no matter how much it freaks me out, even if I do watch it huddled behind a pillow. Somehow, if I don't, it's worse not knowing WHAT happened lol. :)

Mercurie said...

Vincent was one of the actors of all time (he's from Missouri, so naturally he is cool). He is also tied as my favourite horror actor with Karloff and Christopher Lee. He was so great!

Robby Cress said...

Totally agree about Vincent Price's voice. I would love to have some audio books with Price narrating.

Mr Pendlebury said...

I'm sure you know it better than I do, but can I suggest you both sit down and watch Witchfinder General.

Austin said...

I totally second the recommendation for The Pit and The Pendulum! My favorite Price movie, I think. But I definitely agree that he can make just about any movie interesting :D

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin