Sunday, June 20, 2010

My super-cool Dad! Or: A random post where I go on and on about my dad. Probably a bit boring for the average reader! ;-D

^Totally ripped this picture right out of one of my mum's scrapbooks! ;-D

My dad is pretty stinkin' cool!

And he is completely the reason for my unending love for westerns. My mum, of course, introduced me to most old movies (and television), but it was my dad who is responsible for all the westerns. My mother HATES westerns. Well, except for those annoying "psychological" ones with the conflicted heroes. WHATEVER. ;-D

My dad and I love the ones wear the good guy has the white hat and the bad guy has the black hat and by the end....the bad guy will be DEAD! Those are completely the best!

Although, we do occasionally watch those conflicted heroes westerns (Note: The Searchers review from a few weeks ago.), they're just not as cool.

I have so many memories of watching westerns with my dad: The Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, Wild Wild West, Wanted: Dead or Alive, Bonanza, John Wayne, Hopalong Cassidy...well, just really ANYTHING that had to do with the western genre!

Of course, it's not always EASY watching shows with him (it's not my fault I like to comment about the show-- now and then ;-D), but it's still the most fun to watch an old episode of Bonanza with him...and have him remember the plot...from when it first aired.

We also watch Emergency and Adam-12, and that kind of stuff too. Because, obviously anything with guns is pretty cool (I'm in the middle of four brothers...what can I say? ;-D)

And sometimes we watch Star Trek, WHICH I CAN'T STAND AND HE WATCHES JUST BECAUSE I CAN'T STAND IT! (These NBA Finals have had him rooting for the Celtics, just because I adore the Lakers. HA! Lakers killed them!)

And, I do a few memories of my dad not connected with the TV.

My dad is a real estate agent/property manager/rental owner/construction genius. He can pretty fix anything that has to do with a house (but, put him in front of the computer and he still can't figure out how to attach a file to an e-mail ;-D). When I was super-little, I used to "go to work" with him. Which would consist of going to Starbucks and getting an apple juice and then going to Home Depot or Lowes while he bought random supplies for whatever he was building/remodeling/or fixing. And I used to be his "secretary" when I was like, eight. I would check his e-mail and delete any spam before he checked it. For this I got 25cents a day! That's right! (Pretty sure I swindled him more than a few times.)

But, anyway, I better start wrapping this up, because-- although I could tell stories about my dad forever-- that would be pretty stinkin' boring for you guys!

My dad has taught me so much, and he is literally like the best dad ever! He also was the person who introduced me to Sierra Leone, which is now a huge part of my life. Every time I've gone to Africa, I've gone with him (I don't think I COULD go without him). He's just so amazing.

That's all!

Happy Father's Day!

8 comments:

greatoldthings said...

Great post! :) I'm sure your dad would love it.

DKoren said...

Great post!

Kate said...

What a sweet post Millie!!

I envy your dad's fix-it/construction skills!! My dad (though he is certainly THE best dad in the world, in my opinion!) cannot fix ANYTHING, I kind of doubt his ability to properly replace batteries in a remote control! ;-D

I kind of feel bad just posting a picture of my parents for mothers/fathers day now! This post was really awesome :)

Millie said...

greatoldthings: Hmm, I probably should send it to him! Haha! My family is strictly forbidden to read my blog! Haha!

DKoren: Thanks!

KAAAATE: Thanks, darling!

HAHAHAHAHA! Oh my gosh, well, he runs an online business, so yeah. THAT'S SOMETHING! ;-D

WHAT??!??!! Seriously! NOT COOL! Haha. I forgot to even post anything for Mother's Day, so really, YOU ARE WAAAAY BETTER THAN ME!

greatoldthings said...

Millie- Your family is forbidden to read your blog?! Why?! My family loves reading my blog. haha well if they could read it I'm sure they would love it as much as I do! If not more. :-)

Millie said...

Awww! Thanks!

I did let my dad read this one, and I send my mum posts from time-to-time, it's just, I prefer to have this be my "personal" old movie blog! Haha!

Sarah Asay said...

AWWW!!! that's very very sweet.

Elisabeth said...

Another girl who spent Saturday afternoons watching Westerns with Dad!

I have to tell you, though...I was cheering for the Celtics. Dad and the doctor who delivered me spent some of the time waiting for me to arrive watching a Celtics game, so I have a long-standing loyalty. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin