Tuesday, February 1, 2011

2011 in Film: January


I AM keeping track of every film I watch this year. Oh, I've promised in the past, but never made it past the third week of January. It's going to be different this year. IT IS. ;-D

I have started a new page to keep track of these films; I've been adding to it this whole month.

Of course, with college and all, I haven't been able to watch TOO many movies (sad, but true!). I'm much more likely to just throw on a TV show before I sleep, instead of a long movie!

It was funny, in thinking about the movies I watch this year, I started to think about the TV I watch. CRAZINESS! As far as I can remember I have watched at least one episode (most: multiple episodes) of each of these shows JUST THIS MONTH:

Honey West, The Saint, Mission: Impossible, The Bob Newhart Show, Route 66, Adam-12, Emergency!, Psych (um, around three seasons of it. ;-D), White Collar, Laredo, Lawman, Alias Smith and Jones, Richard Diamond: Private Eye, Alfred Hitchcock Hour, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Night Gallery, Ironside (I SWEAR IT WAS JUST BECAUSE BRADFORD DILLMAN WAS GUEST STARRING. Hahaha), Leave It To Beaver, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Monkees... and these are just the ones I remember off the top of my head.

WHAT IS MY LIFE?!

;-D

Anyways, on to the actual film part of this post:

In January I watched 13 films (a pitiful number by any standards). This included 8 new films and 5 re-watches.

My favorite new film: 

Either I Love You Again or How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying (both were seen thanks to Netflix; actually ALL of the new films were because of Netflix). They were both seriously brilliant. William + Myrna is always just genius. And I really just can't live without near constant viewings of over-the-top musicals. ;-D

My least favorite new film:

They Came To Cordura. EASILY. I don't even want to talk about it (okay, I actually live-tweeted practically the entire movie, but still. ;-D) It was so horrible and tragic and depressing. I hated absolutely every character. EXCEPT Rita Hayworth (is she EVER NOT IMPOSSIBLY COOL?!) and Michael Callan (poor Michael got struck down by typhoid and spent most of the movie motionless on a stretcher being carried through the desert by the rest of the characters). I couldn't even stand Gary Cooper's character, AND I LOVE GARY COOPER. And the ending?! SERIOUSLY?!

Runner-up: Man-Trap. This thing. It would have EASILY been first place, but it had David Janssen as a seriously evil evil villain. And he's JUST so cool. And, oh, look at his awesome creeper mustache:

That is all.
 
Best Movie Title:

Normally, a movie called How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying, would EASILY win this category. But this was the month of-- ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE! Every other movie title is secondary. ;-D

Best Cast: 

This one is really too close to call!

How do I choose between William + Myrna; Robert Morse, Rudy Vallee, and Michele Lee (ALL ALIAS SMITH AND JONES GUEST STARS, oh...um...); David Janssen, Debbie Reynolds, and Cliff Robertson (My Six Loves); and Audrey + Perkins (Green Mansions). I can't.

Worst Cast:

Ride The Wild Surf. I adore Peter Brown and Barbara Eden. BUT Fabian, Tab Hunter, Shelley Fabares, AND ROGER "FAKE HEYES" DAVIS. It was too much.

Although, They Came To Cordura is a close second: Van Heflin, Richard Conte, AND Tab Hunter (common theme).

Most Viewed Actor:

This one is a tie between a couple of different actors, all with two films each.

Carole Lombard: My Man Godfrey and To Be Or Not To Be (both re-watches)
William Powell: My Man Godfrey and I Love You Again
David Janssen: Man-Trap and My Six Loves (both new)
Tab Hunter: Ride The Wild Surf and They Came To Cordura (both new). Watching two Tab Hunter performances is watching two too many. GAHH!

Also: I saw The Lady Vanishes TWICE (it as a re-watch), sooo....

Films By Decades:


1930's: 2 (3 if counting both viewings of The Lady Vanishes) - 0 new
1940's:  2 - 1 new
1950's: 3 - 3 new
1960's: 4 - 4 new
2000's: 1 - 0 new

Welllll. Here is my month in film. I'm hoping that doing this will make sure I actually keep track of all the movies! :-D

Here's to an awesome year of movies!

-Millie

6 comments:

Laurie said...

Hi. I've been reading for a while, but this is my first comment. I've decided to try keeping record of the movies I watch this year too. Sadly, I only watched a few in January.(college!) I do the same thing, just watching a TV show before bed. (a lot of the same shows as you!) I don't have time for anything else!

Niamhy said...

Why wouldn't you watch Ironside? Huh? HUH, MILLIE?! ;-P Hahahaha!

kate gabrielle said...

lol you are beyond hilarious! This is going to be the highlight of my month so you BETTER stick to it.

Or I'll sick Randolph Scott on you! ;-D

Kraxpelax said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Emm said...

I haven't seen any Honey West in months. And I'm going into with withdrawal over The Saint. Fortunately I've been watching Man in a Suitcase, which is IMPOSSIBLY COOL.

And I did NOT ever watch Ironside. Really, I didn't! (Okay, I did -- but I'm still not sure why.)

Good to know about They Came to Cordura. I was thinking it might be tolerable due to Michael, but I semi-hate Gary Cooper to begin with, and Rita Hayworth...WELL!!!

I always think of him as Roger "Fake Heyes" Davis now. It's literally part of his name. (I still haven't been able to force myself to watch any of the post-Pete Duel episodes.)

Seriously wonderful post. I hope you stick to the plan this year!

Millie said...

Laurie: Hey, thanks for reading and commenting! :-D Haha, I understand that feeling!

Niamhy: Perry Mason in a wheelchair. It's just odd.

Kate: AWWWW! You're so nice. Seriously!!

Emm: WHAT?! WHERE DID YOU FIND FULL EPISODES OF MAN IN A SUITCASE. I MUSTACHE THAT SHOW SO MUCH. YOU ARE SERIOUSLY CREEPING ME OUT. YOUR LIFE AND MY LIFE ARE THE SAME BASICALLY. Anyways... ;-D

Wow, Emm, I am disappointed. ;-D

Yeah. Michael is genius in it, but he's only in it "lucidly" for a couple minutes. WHAT?! RITA AND COOPER ARE AWESOME!

Oh, it IS his legally binding name, actually.

Yeah. I've seen a few. The Kid actually even awesomer and more hilarious (if that was possible). Apparently, Ben was a little bit awestruck by Pete's acting skills, but then when he was acting alongside Fake Heyes he CLEARLY knew he was a zillion times cooler, so....;-D

But, yeah.

Actually, the first ep of AS&J I ever saw was a Fake Heyes ep. I knew NOTHING about the show (years ago) and actually said out loud almost immediately: "I do not like that weird guy with the annoying voice. The guy who looks like Paul Newman-- HE IS COOL." Hahahahahahaha!

Thanks! :-D

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin