Monday, March 28, 2011

Farley Granger.


July 1, 1925 - March 27, 2011


I've always liked Farley Granger. He was such an interesting actor. He could play crazy, and he could play REALLY crazy, and he could also play completely normal "heroes."

Two of my favorite roles of his are The Girl on the Red Velvet Swing, where he is seriously deranged, and Strangers On a Train, where he is the all-American tennis star.

Hitchcock often had a habit of making his heroes boring and his villains fascinating. Strangers On a Train was supposed to be like that and Robert Walker definitely gives us one of Hitchcock's most gleefully awesome villains. But, even though Farley's role is boring-- his performance is not. In Hitchcock movies I OFTEN root for the villain over the hero. (Robert Cummings over Ray Milland?! NEVER.) But in Strangers, I find myself unable to completely do that.

This is because of Farley Granger.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that Farley Granger was a very interesting and talented actor. He could take small or boring roles and give stellar, classic performances. He was just cool.

He will be definitely missed.

-Millie

8 comments:

Audrey said...

I can't believe it, but I don't think I've ever seen a Farley Granger film. I must remedy that.

It's sad news, indeed, to hear of his passing.

Kalli said...

NO!!!! This is so sad! Jane Russell, Elizabeth Taylor, and now Farley Granger! I'll have to watch Rope and Strangers on a Train for his tribute!

Emm said...

This is wrong. So wrong. Not Farley. (And incidently, why was this not ever prominently in the news?)

I recently saw Strangers on a Train for the first time, and I was surprised how interestingly he played Guy Haines. And he also frequently costarred with Dana. Did you ever watch The North Star with the pair of them?

Lobosco said...

That is so sad to see about the death of another Hollywood legend. This blog was the first place I heard of the sad news - so thank you for that.

cinema-fanatic.com said...

I just saw him in They Live By Night. so so good. Always loved him in Strangers on a Train, too. oh Old Hollywood, why can't you stay with us?!

cinema-fanatic.com said...

I just saw him in They Live By Night. so so good. Always loved him in Strangers on a Train, too. oh Old Hollywood, why can't you stay with us?!

Mercurie said...

Farley certainly was versatile. I can't think of many leading man who could play a normal, everyday person in one film and a psychopath in the next!

Millie said...

Audrey: Ahh, yes. YOU MUST! I'd recommend Strangers On A Train for the first! :-)

Kalli: I know, it's really very sad! :-/

Emm: I know! All my favorites never make the news-- which is why *I* write little posts for them!

He was with Dana in several war films.

You know, I haven't. Although a copy of it on lend from Casey is sitting on my TV as we speak. I WILL WATCH IT. Haha!

Lobosco: It is very sad.

I also find it sad that his death was not widely reported! :-(

Cinema Fanatic: I've heard a lot of great things about the movie. I will definitely have to check it out!

Terry: Absolutely. It's amazing he hasn't gotten as much credit for his talent!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin