Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Millie in Movies: A - Z

I saw this over at Cinema Fanatic (you should definitely go check out her awesomely interesting list) and my first thought was OH! I MUST DO THIS! My second thought: Is this wise, Millie? Surely you haven't forgotten the months of poor health that proceeded your list of 20 Favorite Hitchcock films?

(Note: I talk to myself with Charles Boyer's voice. I'm not even lying. Milleh, Milleh? Where is the brooch?)

Anyway. After MUCH mental anguish and careful deliberation, I decided to make a list. I decided to take the hundreds of thousands of utterly brilliant films and limit them to just 26. It has been painful.

The idea with this list of A - Z movies is to define myself through film. These are not necessarily the 26 movies that I consider to be the greatest, or even necessarily my 26 absolute favorites (I have 378, 253 absolute favorites, so...), they are 26 films that give you an idea about who I am. AND, apparentally, I am almost completely defined by films beginning with the letters L, M, H, and T (I'm so sorry The Lost Weekend, The Moon-Spinners, The More The Merrier, Mr. and Mrs. Smith ('41), His Girl Friday, To Be Or Not To Be, That Funny Feeling....).

This hopefully should be interesting.

A - The Awful Truth (1937)



B - Barefoot in the Park (1967)



C - Can't Help Singing (1944)



D - Dial M For Murder (1955)



E - East of Eden (1955)



F - Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)



G - Gidget Goes Hawaiian (1961)



H - How To Steal a Million (1966)



I - It Happened One Night (1934)



J - Jamaica Inn (1939)


K - Kiss Me Kate (1953)



L - Laura (1944)



M - Meet John Doe (1941)


N - Notorious (1946)



O - One, Two, Three (1961)


P - Persuasion (2007)


Q - The Quiet American (1958)



R - Road to Morocco (1942)


S - Shadow Of A Doubt (1943)


T - The Third Man (1949)


U - The Uninvited (1944)



V - Les Vacances de M. Hulot (1953)



W - The Women (1939)



X - X: The Man With X-Ray Eyes (1963)



Y - A Yank in the RAF (1941)



Z - The Mark of Zorro (1940)



Well, there it is. IT SERIOUSLY PAINED ME. It pained me even more than the Hitchcock list. I KNOW I FORGOT (and in some cases was FORCIBLY FORCED to leave off) so many absolute favorites. IT'S KILLING ME.

Okay. I'll just leave this be (it's been waiting to be published for over a week now)....and go wander off to get list-maker's regret. ;-D

-Millie

12 comments:

cinema-fanatic.com said...

yay! for S and T! loooove it. there are a few on this list that are on my "to watch" list.

also, I'm glad someone else was physically pained by the thought of having to choose only 26 films.

kate gabrielle said...

Milleh, Milleh? Where is the brooch?
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a seriously amazing list! It is quite milliesque! I can't figure out how you think of what movies start with what letter though... I'd be going crazy trying to think of movies that start with, just say, U, and I'd only think of one movie, so that would HAVE to be the movie I pick for u just because I can't think of anything else? There should be a list of every movie ever made, listed alphabetically to make this easier...

oh, and btw there simply HAS to be a better choice for Z ;-D

NoirGirl said...

OMG the Charles Boyer's voice thing had me laughing out loud. Where's the brooch Miss Milleh? ;D

That picture of Michael Callan in Gidget Goes Hawaiian has convinced me that I MUST watch it this summer. I'm sure you'll be happy to hear that!

And um, tell me...how on EARTH did a Horst film make it on this list?? Have you had a change of heart about him?!

For Kate: no, Zorro is an absolute necessity! In point of fact, I'm utterly astonished Millie chose Barefoot in the Park over The Black Swan - I think this is your influence on her! ;D

Millie said...

Marya: Two of the most charming evil villains ever.

GEEZ. It was seriously painful. I don't even want to think about it anymore. haha

Kate: ;-D

It was SUPER-HARD to choose. On some of the letters (like Q), I used Yahoo Movies, because they list movies by letter. It just helped me remember.

THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION. ZORRO ALWAYS. ;-D

Casey: It's around. ;-D

HECK YEAH. HECK YEAH. I'll make a copy of it for you! :-D

I ADORE that movie. AND IT'S NOT A HORST MOVIE. It's a James Cagney movie...Horst appears for a short moment to be annoying. ;-D

HAHHA! Well, I had Black Swan first, because I had Road to Zanzibar on Z, but then I put Road to Morocco on R, so to balance it out I put Zorro at Z and put Barefoot in the Park at B (does this make sense?! ;-D)

Fondly, Caitlin said...

Great list. A few are already near and dear to me but I'll definitely be checking out the others. ^-^
I might even have to do my own now...*laughs*

Sweet Pea said...

I like a few of those movies too :)

Laura Arual said...

Great idea... I can't wait to make my own list. Thanks for reminding me how much I love classic movies.

Audrey said...

I love that you talk to yourself in a Charles Boyer voice. I'm totally going to start doing that. :D (I happen to love his voice!)

I've never heard of 'The Quiet American' before. I'll have to Google it...

Niamhy said...

Okay, so we really need to stop being the same person...NAH! ;-P

Penny said...

Oh Millie, you certainly are brave!
I don't think I could have done it!
Awwwwwww..... I love "Persuasion" too!!! And "Meet John Doe",and "The Mark of Zorro", oh, and I am simply PINING to see "A Yank in the R.A.F."
and Gidget too!!!!

Classic Film and TV Cafe said...

Any list with a GIDGET movie, ONE TWO THREE, and LAURA rocks in my opinion!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love Can't Help Singing, Shadow of a Doubt (I adore Joseph Cotten), Kiss Me Kate, and The Road to Morocco. I would say I liked The Uninvited, Meet John Doe, and The Third Man, but alas and alack I have yet to see them.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin