Friday, December 30, 2011

New Year's Movie Meme

I just LOOOVE doing these survey things. I really do. And Kate let me know about this awesome new one from The Girl with the White Parasol. In fact, Kate completed the survey in her usual hysterical brilliance. Check it out!

So, yeah. HERE I GO!

1. What is your all-time favorite Grace Kelly costume?



Her swimsuit dress thing from To Catch a Thief. Pure Wowzie Kazam.

2. What classic film would you nominate for a remake?


Oh, you know, I think most '60s TV is always ready for a movie remake. I think the modern film industry has shown itself capable of properly remaking classic television. If you look at movies like Wild Wild West or The Saint, clearly the modern movie industry actually cares about honoring the classic while also approaching it with fresh perspective. I think it's great.*









*My reaction! :-)
 

3. Name your favorite femme fatale.
This woman. Perfection. I personally feel that The Lady From Shanghai contains Rita Hayworth's greatest performance.



4. Name the best movie with the word "heaven" in its title.



Leave Her To Heaven. Gene Tierney is so utterly brilliant, she manages to make me forget about the ughness of Cornel Wilde.   

5. Describe the worst performance by a child actor that you’ve ever seen.
 
Oh, there are a lot. I typically hate child performances. There are only a few of whom I approve (I especially hate singing children [I really am a grinch]). Of course, right now my mind is blanking. I really dislike most of the Von Trapp children.

6. Who gets your vote for most tragic movie monster?


Not to be too cliched, but -- Frankenstein (the doctor and his monster) hurts.  I'm not sure if my experiences with the book are coloring my feelings about this (IT'S SO SAD). But, yeah. Also, the Pod People. Especially, that last person. Unwilling monsters. IT'S NOT FAIR.


7. What is the one Western that you would recommend to anybody?

Oh, you mean EVERY WESTERN?! I can't recommend ONE western to every person. I have to perfectly tailor choices for specific people. It's an art and I work incredibly hard at it. I refuse to be put into this one-size-fits-all, generalized box.

I REFUSE.

Why are you trying to make me do this?! WHY?!

Okay, I should probably calm down, BUT I CAN'T.

I'll throw out a couple of genre choices, but this is only the beginning of brilliance.

Fans of rollicking (I love that word) action films should go for The Magnificent Six + Horst the Worst (I don't consider him to be "magnificent"). You have a seriously perfect cast: McQueen, Brynner, Coburn, Wallach, Bronson, Vaughan, (and that other guy that I will never for the life of me remember his name; I usually refer to him as "the crazy guy who thinks they're looking for gold"). AND THAT SCORE.



Fans of straight-up brilliant drama/acting absolutely need to see The Searchers. You will find yourself LITERALLY blown away. Oh yes. (Also: Red River)

Fans of comedy: Cat Ballou. Everything is perfect. Also, Support Your Local Sheriff.

Fans of "romance" (it's such an awkward sounding genre) should check out The Angel and the Badman. It's one of my favorites and it's wonderfully acted, but really, THE reason to see it is Gail Russell. She's other-worldly.

Okay, I suppose I should stop. But, really, I have so many more. SO MANY.

8. Who is your ideal movie-viewing partner?

Hmmm. Usually myself. I'm such a dork. I yell at the TV. I made odd noises. I have the ability to become embarrassed for characters who are acting stupidly. I usually then cover my face with my hands and say "awkward! awkward! awkward!" over and over until it's over. Yeah. It gets bad.

However, I am also able to watch movies with my sister, Shannon. She understands.

Also: my best fleshie, Allie. She's been watching movies with me for longer than I can ever remember. We spend our time ridiculing characters we hate, loving/hating movie outfits (usually hats), commenting on beautiful eyes, and the such. She's basically just as strange as me.

The Accented Men Appreciation Society (it's a club of five friends and I). We're cool. We spend our time watching movies with accents and talking about said accents. It's not creepy. It's cool.

My Non-Fleshies: Kate, Casey, Sarah, and Nicola. Movie chats are my favorite things in the world. Craziness ALWAYS occurs. I never thought I could find myself laughing hysterically until I could not breathe -- while typing/reading words from across the country. I MUSTACHE MY NFS!


9. Has a film ever made you want to change your life? If so, what was the film?

No. Not really. Film is a huge part of my life, but I don't think any film has ever made me want to change my life. Except maybe the fact that I've always had a secret desire to learn judo -- JUST SO THAT I COULD BE HONOR BLACKMAN.




10. Think of one performer that you truly love. Now think of one scene/movie/performance of theirs that is too uncomfortable for you to watch.


I truly love Sir Bob Hope. TRULY. However, I find it difficult to watch most of his post-mid-50s work. He never loses his brilliant ability to deliver a line, but he did lose that edge he had, especially from his start in the late-30s through WWII. That was his "golden period." Nothing was wrong. Everything was hilarious. Bob Hope was a very topical comedian. During that time, he was on top and ahead of everything. Later, he seemed to drag behind (it pains me to say that). He was still awesome, of course, though. I think Road to Hong Kong is particularly awful. I watched it once, when I must have been about eight. I will never watch it again. It hurt too much.

11. On the flip side, think of one really good scene/performance/movie from a performer that you truly loathe.  

This kills me, but, Randolph Scott was BRILLIANT in My Favorite Wife (probably because he was playing an insufferably annoying character). Everything about his character was hilarious. 

12. And finally, since it will be New Year's soon, do you have any movie or blogging-related resolutions for 2012?

Yeah. Watch more movies. Also: continue to keep track of them (I'm so proud of myself and the fact that I kept track of basically every movie this year). 

Well, that was fun! Thanks ever so Girl With the White Parasol! I quite enjoyed it! :-D

-Millie 

2 comments:

kate gabrielle said...

ooh, Randolph Scott in My Favorite Wife is a good choice! Any movie where someone you find annoying is SUPPOSED to be annoying, those are the times they're actually tolerable (if that made sense?!) Like actually, my choice of EOB in Barefoot Contessa... he's SUPPOSED to be a sweaty guy, so I don't find it as annoying as when he's all sweaty and shoulder-padded in noir films and women are like "Oh, EOB I love you and your sweaty skin!!"

Oh and I'm with you on singing children! The kids in An Affair to Remember?!?! I want to strangle them! aghhh!

OMG I didn't realize that "*My reaction!" was a link at first and then I watched it... PERFECTION!!!! hahahahaha!!!

Perfect Number 6 said...

Horst the worst, hahahaha!

Choosing one western is impossible, but you did pick a GREAT one. I can't imagine anyone not liking TM7!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin