Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Davy Jones.



December 30, 1945 – February 29, 2012

I was seriously shocked to just read about Davy's death. I don't even know what to say.

The Monkees have been my favorite band for ever so long. Usually, the music a person loves as a 6 year-old is NOT the same music a person loves as 17 year-old. And, even if you do still like it -- it's more out of a nostalgic fondness. Not so with The Monkees. There has never been a time in my life where I couldn't listen to their music and absolutely love its genius and loveliness. 

And the TV show -- utter mind-smushing beauty. (And don't even get me started on their movie. THAT THING IS LEGITIMATE SATIRIC BRILLIANCE.)

I think The Monkees are hugely misunderstood and underestimated.

They were definitely an extremely talented and interesting band, but they were also a "happy" band. Listening to their music  or watching their show is just a happy experience. 

Davy Jones completely embraced that part of the band's role. He had fun. He was especially good on the show, using his acting experience at an advantage. Here is a typical "Davy moment" on the show.

Also, he never gave up on the band or its fans. He was also active in trying to get The Monkees into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (the fact that they haven't been added is just idiotic). 

Anyway, I don't know what else to say except that Davy will be missed.

My favorite Davy song:


ANOTHER typical Davy moment:


Davy + creepy, inhuman back-up singers on one of The Monkees' TV specials:


Davy being SO Davy while guest-starring on The Brady Bunch:



-Millie

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I was really sad to hear this, too. I'm not a *huge* Monkees fan, but I do like some of their songs.

I like them a lot better than the Beatles, in fact. :)

Mercurie said...

I was just devastated when I saw on Twitter that Davy had died. I cried so much today that I developed a headache. The Monkees have been so much a part of my life for longer than I can remember and it seems inconceivable that one of them could be gone.

StanwyckFan said...

I tagged you for a blog award. Read the rules here: http://theswingmood.blogspot.com/2012/03/awards-awards-awards.html

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin