Monday, February 18, 2013

It's a hard world for little things.

















You know when you're little you have more endurance than God is ever to grant you again.

Children are man at his strongest.

They abide.
-------------
Lord save little children. You'd think the world'd be ashamed to name such a day as Christmas for one of them, then go on in the same old way. 

My soul is humble when I see the way little ones accept their lot.
-------------
Lord save little children. The wind blows and rains are cold...yet they abide.
------------- 
They abide and they endure.


Today, I watched The Night of the Hunter for the first time since I was probably 12. Of course, it was excellently brilliant. I thought that when I was 12 too. Of course, Robert Mitchum is stinkin' scary in the way that only psychotic preachers can be. Of course, the direction and filming and story are perfection personified. Of course, the acting is greatness.

Of course, of course, of course.

But, what really struck me this time around (and when I say struck -- I REALLY mean struck -- I was practically in tears), were the children. 

{Unrelated sidebar note: who have I become? I never cry during movies. Yet, lately, I've weeping all moisture from my body in slow tears rolling down my face. Go to see Les Miserables twice? Cry even more the second time. Random characters die on Downton Abbey [another unrelated sidebar note: I am officially done with Downton]? Sob pathetically. Try to watch Once Upon a Time to cheer up? Wail because of Pinocchio's backstory. And we're not gonna talk about the time last month when I went into mourning because a LOVELY CHARACTER WITH A LOVELY SCOTTISH ACCENT AND FORMERLY LOVELY HAIR JUST HAD TO DIE ON A SHOW ABOUT DINOSAURS [I loved you Cutter]. Because that's just embarrassing. /end unrelated sidebar note}

Billy Chapin is so perfect as John. That is a great child acting. (Child from Shane, please pay attention. You are just annoying.) His character pulls the story together in a way I hadn't noticed at age 12. The courage; the confusion; the breakdown; and, ultimately, the restoration are all written in a way that feels realistic for the specific instances and the specific time of the Depression.

But, what really struck me (in the weeping and making sad sounds [no lie: dictionary definition for "cry"] kind of way), was the universality of John and the other children.

My life's goal (and the reason I'm transferring to Northwest University in the fall! yay!) is to work with children who are suffering the psychological effects of trauma and war -- hopefully in West Africa.

The almost-tears in my eyes were because I recognized a similarity between children abandoned and alone in the American South during the Great Depression and children abandoned and alone in Sierra Leone following a civil war.

And Miss Cooper's response to Ruby, "You were looking for love...in the only foolish way you knew how. We all need love."

*insert gif of David Tennant crying, which I am not going to insert here because it would take away from the seriousness of this post*

I'm not one to get into the maudlin sentimentality of audiovisual entertainment (except when it's Pinocchio's backstory. That little ginger kid with freckles and the sad face KILLED ME). I don't often blog or speak or anything about the "power" or "emotion" of a film.

But, The Night of the Hunter just has it.

Yes, it is a brilliantly-done-in-every-way-imaginable, surreal fairy tale about a charismatic psychopath serial killer preacher. But, it is also a story about children-- their resilience and their intrinsic value.

Ugh. Everyone involved in this movie was brilliant. CHARLES LAUGHTON, YOU SHOULD HAVE MADE MORE MOVIES.

-Millie





< Okay, I can't resist. This is just one of many gifs that exist of David Tennant crying in the most horribly painful way possible.



P.S. I know this is a super-random post after my long absence. I will be blogging more regularly again. Life happened. I WAS DEPRESSED TO MISS CHRISTMAS TIME ON HERE. I actually had a post planned titled: "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: Dystopian Society with a Totalitarian Authority Figure, Conformist Ideology, and Slave Labour." Next Christmas. It's going to happen. I love ruining Christmas movies for people.

^The previous sentence is an example of something that a person shouldn't write after basically a six month absence.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

BUT DAVID TENNANT IS SUCH A GREAT CRIER. UGH.

I really want to see this. I don't know how I haven't yet!

Sofia said...

The thing about the famous gifs of Tennat crying is that I have never seen Doctor Who (that's where they're from, right?) so they always strike me as funny rather than dramatic, because I always associate them with some fangirl issue. Oh my life.

I have yet to see this film, and I'm not sure when I'll be able to see it, because my Tony Curtis obsessions kicked just a few days ago, ahah. Anyway, I've been following you - I mean, your blog - for a while because it looks very appealing, and now you've posted for the first time since I landed here and I really enjoyed reading your post. I'm not the steadiest blogger myself, but I really hope you'll keep posting!

Hamlette said...

DKoren is going to comment about how much she agrees with you about the kid from Shane. Just so you know.

Millie said...

Sarah: DAVID TENNANT CRYING CAUSES ME ACTUAL PHYSICAL PAIN.

Oooh. Definitely watch it. You'd love it!

Sofia: Tennant crying gifs are often from Doctor Who, but not always (because wherever there is a Tennant -- there is a crying Tennant).

Watch it. It's better than Tony Curtis could ever be. (I honestly don't mean to be so antagonistic. haha)

Well, thank you so much! I really appreciate it! I will definitely check out your blog!

Hamlette: BECAUSE IT'S TRUTH.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin