Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A Monkee a Day...


...helps everyone love a glorious, but horribly under-appreciated band!


NO ONE GIVES THE MONKEES THE JUST AND DUE CREDIT THAT IS OWED THEM!

The reality is, they were great and perfect and everything right (note: my reality rejects "I Wanna Be Free," "Cuddly Toy," and "Auntie Grizelda" -- the latter, mainly because Peter's unused talent brings pain to my soul).

To this end, I will be posting a different, brilliant Monkees song every day! Now, there will be a few minutes of joy in each of our humdrum, lonely lives.

First up, "Listen to the Band."

"Listen to the Band" is one of The Monkees more famous songs, but not as recognizable as "I'm a Believer" or "Last Train Clarksville."

It's my favorite song from Papa Nez, mostly because it is insanely infectious. Listen here and try not to loudly shout LISTEN TO THE BAND!



My favorite part of this song comes at the false ending. My brain wants to shout LISTEN TO THE BAND! and is sorely disappointed when the song ends. But then, the music comes slowly back and -- LISTEN TO THE BAND!

So great!

If you're in the mood for questioning your sanity (aren't we all?), watch this performance from 33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee:



Davy looks so happy to have an important job dancing with his tambourine and all his new friends! :')

Join me tomorrow for more Monkee Awesomeness (and I use this word in the correct meaning).

-Millie

5 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm looking forward to this! :) I like the Monkees, but don't actually know too many of their songs.

P.S. Have you ever seen the Boy Meets World episode that features three of the band members? I was recently watching through the BMW series again and had forgotten about that little cameo. :)

~Kristin

Hamlette said...

I love the Monkees! I have their LP "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn, and Jones" and it gets a lot of play :-) I've only seen a few of their episodes, but they were indescribably fun :-) Thanks for posting this, and I look forward to more Monkee goodness tomorrow!

Millie said...

Kristin: Awesome! This greatly pleases me! :-D

I have never seen any Boy Meets World, but I can guess which three participated. (I'm guessing the anti-social Texan was not involved. ;-D)

Hamlette: That record has my favorite cover art, I don't play it too often though, because it's hanging up as decoration. haha

This is a very true description. Not everyone gets the TV show (and that's okay-- I GUESS), but it really is indescribably fun (and unique and groundbreaking, but whatevs).

Thank you! :-D

Kristin said...

Here's a link to part of the episode: http://youtu.be/usDi-Ensv9A .

Micky had a recurring role in the show as one of Alan's (the dad) friends. And Peter was the first of 3 actors who played Topanga's dad. :) Davy was just in this one episode.

~Kristin

Ashley said...

Can I just say that my love of Monkees music knows no bounds.

So with that... Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!

-Ashley

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin